Thread: Datalogging Voltage

Default Datalogging Voltage

Hi All. Is it possible to setup Custom 3 logging to datalog voltage at my NOS solenoid? Hope for a solution to datalog voltage between 8 & 16 volts. Thanks, Peter from Denmark. https://www.facebook.com/bymikeandpeter/
    Last edited by ezstreet; 07-15-2019 at 02:16 PM.

The Sniper already datalogs system voltage. The voltage at your NOS solenoid should be the same as the system voltage if your wire size is adequate.

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe he wants to ensure the N2O solenoid voltage is activated.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yes Danny, you're right. I'm having trouble with my nitrous flow, so I'd like to see if my voltage at the solenoid is high enough.
    Thanks, Peter. https://www.facebook.com/bymikeandpeter/

5. Default

Would the new current transducers work for this purpose? Monitor actual current draw to baseline your solenoid on/off states? Just a thought, I haven't used any yet, but saw these recently in new products: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...nt_transducer/

HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi

He just needs to verify the voltage activation; no need to spend money doing so.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ezstreet View Post
    Yes Danny, you're right. I'm having trouble with my nitrous flow, so I'd like to see if my voltage at the solenoid is high enough.
    Thanks, Peter. https://www.facebook.com/bymikeandpeter/
    The voltage at the solenoid is going to be the same as the voltage at the battery IF the wire size is large enough. If your solenoid voltage is much lower than the battery voltage then you have a wire size issue or a connection issue. You can debug this kind of stuff with a voltmeter. If you have a voltmeter in the car you can run the wire to the solenoid and watch it as you drive. Or if you have an ammeter you can rewire it so the wire to the solenoid runs through the ammeter. That will give you the current draw of the solenoid.
    Last edited by andyf; 07-15-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Yes I know, but I am looking to see if I could have a nitrous relay or other thing with a fault when under load and driving.
    When dry testing I have full voltage at the coil/solenoid.
    Thanks Peter

9. Default

Is the NOS solenoid Ground triggered or voltage activated?
    If Ground triggered, measuring voltage at the solenoid might not reveal the issue.
    If voltage activated and your heart is set on measuring voltage, look into a voltage divider network. Arduino users utilize them and have good write ups online. Make sure the solenoid (or relay) is diode protected to protect against back EMF when it turns off as unprotected back EMF voltages will be high. Something around 30 KOhm and 10 KOhm resistor would give you a 4:1 ratio. R.G. Max 20V with 5V OUT.

2nd question, is it On/Off control or variable via PWM?
    If PWM, don't utilize voltage measuring. Use an oscilloscope. Small handheld (phone sized), relatively cheap oscilloscopes exist that could be connected and some perform datalogging. Inherent with oscilloscopes is voltage measurement.
    Both of the above would only determine power arriving to the solenoid. They don't provide any positive feedback that the solenoid has opened.

Alternate approach for a positive feedback loop, add a pressure transducer after the NOS solenoid. When active, you will see a raise in pressure in the line between the solenoid and NOS output jet(s). This might not reach your regulated NOS setpoint as it has open jet(s) down stream, but while the solenoid is open, pressure will exist here.
    If you're really keen add two pressure transducers. One prior to the solenoid so you can determine if the tank/regulated pressure is OK and one post to verify each activation. You may have a few kicking around with your existing applications.
    Silly question, if this is a boosted application, is the NOS pressure regulated higher then the intake pressure so upon activation it will flow in the correct direction?
    1970 XW Fairmont (presented as a GT Falcon Replica), 351 Cleveland with Aussie 302 2V closed chamber heads. Edelbrock F351 2V dual plane intake manifold. Camtech CT21544 (234/238@050", 570/579lift, 2600-6200rpm quoted range, 110lobes) 1.73:1 roller rockers. AOD Transmission. Ford 9" 3.5 Diff ratio. Pacemaker #PH4050 2v Tri-Y extractors to 2.5" Hi Flow V-Tex merge pipe with dual 2.5" exhaust through Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers. Holley Sniper EFI 4150 Super Sniper 650 with HyperSpark Ignition.