Thread: Squirter Size

Default Squirter Size

Running an HP 850 on a somewhat stout 390. Might be a bit much carb for my application, but close for what it will be shortly. But I digress. Having an issue with with the primary squirter. .031" primary and .028" secondary. Engine runs fantastic, however, stumble upon acceleration. Just in the shop tipping in the throttle causes a stumble. I don't have the hood on the car and therefore I'm literally able to watch the primary squirter. Starts great for a split second and then peters out seemingly too soon. Engine wants more? I don't know the cam color, but I'll look when I have chance. Am I on the right track? Thanks, Robert.

Hi Robert. Is the accelerator pump override spring adjusted correctly to just take out the slack in the linkage? What is the list number of this carb? Details of engine please, camshaft, compression ratio, inlet manifold, ignition system etc.? Gary
    Regards, Gary

Out of town this week, I'll get back in a few. I"ll double check the spring adjustment and follow-up on list # (I forget).
    Engine is a 390, 10:1 Edelbrock heads, Street Master intake, Comp 282S (.571", 236° @ .050 on 110°), MSD, Toploader, 4.11s.

OK, spring adjustment is correct. My assessment of an 850 is incorrect, as the list number proves out to a 750. 82751. Has pink cam in #2 hole. I can experiment this weekend with the #1 hole or any other cams. Suggestions?

Try the Pink in Position #1, readjust override for no slack at idle. Then try Green cams: https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...celerator_pump. Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 07-18-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    Regards, Gary

I have a Ford 302 bored out to 306 with a smaller cam and a 600 Holley. I have 33 squirters in it. It cured my off idle stumble. I found my biggest problem is the primary slot is exposed too much. I pulled the carb today and put a small bolt-on the secondary throttle blade so I can adjust it with the carb on the engine. (Open the secondary so I can close the primary to make the slot square.) My carb is not as tunable as your carb and this might not help with your off idle stumble. I have a Toploader transmission, 3:50 gears in a Comet. It's light at 3,000 lbs.