Thread: Car doesn't want to idle, unless 9 cells are flattened.

Default Car doesn't want to idle, unless 9 cells are flattened.

Hello. I've been working on getting this Terminator Stealth tuned for a long time and have just been having very limited success with getting idle sorted out. I recently found out that the car will idle beautifully, _IF_ I have 9 cells within the idle area (in other words, the target idle cell plus one cell around it in every direction) set to nearly the same fuel flow rate (~6.18-6.23 lb/hr). My normal warm unloaded idle cell is the 800-900 RPM, 45-48 kPa range. Car is set to 870 RPM idle, which is 47 kPa.

A problem I'm having in addition to this is that the loaded idle (A/C on) wants a lot more fuel than the unloaded idle, which makes it nearly impossible to smooth out the fuel table. When the A/C is on, it sits in the 51-54 kPa range. At this time it seems to want around 7.3 lb/hr of fuel, and obviously it's very difficult to smooth out a cell from the 6.18 lb/hr to the 7.3 lb/hr range!

If I have the fuel table smoothed out instead of "flattened" in the idle area, idle swings around cyclically. Nothing I have done seems to make it happy. The throttle plates are set correctly, with IAC sitting at about 4-5% when idling at 870 RPM/14.0 AFR. I've attached a zip file with my GCF and my most recent test of warm (unloaded) idle and A/C (loaded) idle: 07132019_Step3_FinalFile.zip

Relevant specs on my car are as follows:
    1966 Mustang, 289 ci V8 bored out 0.040" over, 9.5:1 compression, probably <300 HP.
    0.486"/0.496" lift, 214°/238° duration, 112° LSA flat tappet cam.
    Weiand Stealth 8020 intake.
    Tri-Y headers, 2.25" exhaust, WBO2 sensor located 8" from where all of the "Y"s collect, and 10" from the end of the header.
    Pertronix I ignition, new plugs/wires/rotor/cap, dual mechanical advance distributor, NO IGNITION CONTROL.
    Fuel pressure set at 44 PSI.

My concern is that though the car will run like this, I'll have problems when I go to areas of different elevation (I'm heading into the Colorado Rockies in a couple of weeks). When I've got a lower kPa at idle due to elevation, the whole table will be messed up. I'm going to try a vacuum reference line for the fuel pressure regulator, but otherwise I'm unsure what to do. Advice?

Look at your Base Fuel Table in VE Graph form and you'll see your problem. Why have the Closed Loop come on at 150°F? You do know that the Learn won't turn on until the Coolant Temp Enrichment gets to 100%, and in your case that's at an engine temp of 200°F. If you were using timing control you could use Idle Spark control to help smooth the idle.
    Last edited by 81 TransAm; 07-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_H View Post
    A problem I'm having in addition to this is that the loaded idle (A/C on) wants a lot more fuel than the unloaded idle, which makes it nearly impossible to smooth out the fuel table. When the A/C is on, it sits in the 51-54 kPa range. At this time it seems to want around 7.3 lb/hr of fuel, and obviously it's very difficult to smooth out a cell from the 6.18 lb/hr to the 7.3 lb/hr range!
    Read 4th & 5th paragraphs: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2523#post62523 (Holley EFI Tuning Tips & Information) and http://forums.holley.com/showthread....e-Tuning-Notes (EFI Idle Tuning Notes)

If I have the fuel table smoothed out instead of "flattened" in the idle area, idle swings around cyclically. Nothing I have done seems to make it happy.
    Try the "5.0L Ford" Advanced Idle Control under IAC Control.
    I further improved it with the CUSTOM Idle Control Parameters listed HERE under "IAC Motor".
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (General IAC Information - Read "IAC NOTES")
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.