Thread: Should I download to ECU, or upload from?

Default Should I download to ECU, or upload from?

I'm still early in the tuning stages and monitoring everything I can. When I reconnect my laptop to the ECU the next day with the same tune still open it tells me that the the fuel doesn't match from ECU to the laptop. I assume this is because the Learn Table has changed, but does it mean that the ECU or the laptop has the more current version with more data?

ECU is current.

• Laptop "Online" Communication With ECU:
    Next to the “Toolbox” button, is a button to indicate the following status of ECU/laptop communications.
    Offline: Is shown when the ECU is not powered or the USB cable is not connected.
    USB Link: Is shown when the ECU is powered and USB connectivity is established.
    However, the user has not chosen to select the “Online” mode,
    and the Laptop & ECU are not communicating with each other.
    Changes made at this time on the laptop, are not being updated in the ECU.
    Online: Is shown when the Laptop and ECU are communicating.
    At this point, changes made with the laptop are real-time updated in the ECU.

• "Get From ECU" & "Send To ECU" - ECU Sync window:
    When you connect a laptop and go "Online" with the ECU, you first want to click "Get From ECU". This updates your laptop with the latest ECU "state of tune". If you click "Send To ECU", you overwrite all the Learning the ECU has performed since the last time that laptop was connected (because you're not sending the latest, up to date values to the ECU). The only time you should click "Send To ECU", is if you're just sending a Global File change to the ECU and you haven't driven the vehicle since the last time the laptop was connected.

• ECU Date & Time:
    When you go "Online" with the ECU, the option to "Sync ECU Time" (ECU RTC - Real Time Clock) is at the top of the ECU Sync window. Then cycle the ignition key off/on.

A Terminator ECU is an HP ECU; same ECU, just a different decal. Download the Holley EFI software to your laptop (LINK),
    open the software with the USB cable (LINK/LINK) connected, click on "USB Link" to go "Online" with the ECU, and select "Get From
    ECU", (if there's still a Global Folder/File in it), or "Send To ECU" (if you're selecting a new base calibration to upload into the ECU).

The EFI (laptop) software, ECU firmware & touchscreen unit (if applicable) must all be version compatible (LINK).
    If the touchscreen's GCF Wizard doesn't work, use the laptop EFI software to load the Global File. The V5 EFI software has base
    calibrations available. Open the EFI software & click "Open Global File", then "Base Cals". When using the EFI software, everything
    is done with the laptop. The GCF Wizard or those related files are no longer needed on the 3.5" LCD Touchscreen (TSLCD).

• Creating, Naming & Saving a Global Folder/File (Global Config Directory):
    You should name your Global File and save it in the EFI software. See below:
    Open the "Help" Contents ("Help" drop down menu), and read "Step-By-Step Beginner's Tuning".
    Or, at least read the "Quick Start Guide": http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...r10546rev1.pdf.
    IF creating a new Global File Name (as opposed to just saving a change in an existing GF), it's much easier to click "File",
    "Save Global File As...", delete the Global File Name shown and just type in the new name you want without any backslash.

• Emailing Global Folders/Global Files & Datalogs:
    Your Global File and/or Datalogs can be emailed to yourself or other forum members. Click on their username, "View Profile", "About Me" & "Download vCard" for their email address. When emailing a Global File or Datalog, use your email's 'attachment utility' function and Browse through your computer's "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI" & "Global Folders"/"Global Files" or "Datalogs". V4+ Global Files & Datalogs (all versions) aren't required to be "zipped"; simply select & attach it to the email. The recipient now has your entire GF or Datalog in one easy step. If it's zipped from email, so download it to your Desktop (or wherever your PC saves it to), and unzip it. Then "Cut & Paste" the GF into "Holley" "HEFI" "Global Folders/Files" directory (located in Documents).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Here's what I do:
    1. Connect laptop and "Get from ECU".
    2. Immediately do a "Save As" and rename the file with the current date.
    3. Make changes, then "Send To ECU".
    4. If more changes are needed, I do those "live" and periodically hit the same button.
    Next tuning session, rinse & repeat. This way, you always have a good tune saved on your laptop. Andrew
    IG @projectgattago

Thanks fellas. Reading back over that, now I know it sounds familiar, but it got lost somewhere in the mess in my mind.