Thread: Wiring Holley Dominator EFI

Default Wiring Holley Dominator EFI

So I'm doing a Dominator setup in my 1990 Mustang and I've been working on getting the loose wires on the main harness wired in. I wired the green wire to the tan/light green wire that goes under the hood and leads to the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat. Someone told me that I need to ground the tan/light green and connect the green wire from the Holley harness to the red wire on the relay under the drivers seat. Is this correct? I'm not 100% on where I want to mount the black wire, as I know it's supposed to have solid ground to both the battery and the engine. Would a chassis ground work? Is it best to just ground to the negative battery terminal? I know the red/white wire needs to be a good 12V ignition source, so a good recommendation for where to put that would be appreciated. The yellow wire I'm assuming I don't need because I have a TFI harness with the white wire that attaches to the negative on the coil. the red wire would be wired to the positive battery terminal (using a battery that has side and top post) on the battery side post along with the ECU power. The white wire (The one on the main harness, not on the TFI harness) won't be used because I'm using the factory coil/TFI ignition (since the factory coil is inductive instead of a capacitive discharge style system). Does all of this seem correct, all of the power sources are clean enough? No issues?

Another problem that I'm running into is, I removed the factory harness and the plug that goes onto the factory coil went with it and I sold the harness. Now I need to figure out how to wire the coil back up without the factory harness. How would I go about that? Go off the red and light green wire for power to the coil? Where would I wire the negative that connects to the coil? Does it just ground? If so, where does it ground to? Chassis? Engine?

Yes, I've looked at https://forums.holley.com/showthread...464#post100464. I didn't quite understand in reading it, if he just cut the 60-pin connector off and left the rest of the harness.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	271r960a-2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	8442 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring diagram.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	8443 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66218318_2561452533865283_5441305002289135616_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	8444

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...464#post100464 (Fox Mustang/Holley EFI Forum Post)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I can't use the same method you did. The main, WBO2, and engine harness were removed from the car. I wish I would've left the main harness after reading your 5.0L Fox Mustang installation. Unless I misunderstand your post on that thread. In which case, correct me if I'm wrong. Wiring isn't one of my strong points.

Quote Originally Posted by hookerbear View Post
    I can't use the same method you did. The main, WBO2, and engine harness were removed from the car.
    Yes, I left the Ford EEC main harness in place, but I removed the two bulky 10-pin engine harness connectors (LINK), and the enormous 60-pin ECU connector to allow room to fit the Dominator ECU. However, I removed the Ford EFI engine harness (top of engine) and the HEGO O2 sensor harness (under the engine).

So I'm doing a Dominator setup in my 1990 Mustang and I've been working on getting the loose wires on the main harness wired in.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Section 6.0 "Loose Wires", Page 11)

Another problem that I'm running into is, I removed the factory harness and the plug that goes onto the factory coil went with it and I sold the harness. Now I need to figure out how to wire the coil back up without the factory harness.
    What? You posted the Holley EFI Ford TFI wiring diagram (Holley 558-305 Ignition Harness Adapter); that's how it's wired even with the Ford EEC main harness removed.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

My question is geared toward if there are specific key-on 12V while cranking sources under the hood that I can wire the coil and red/white wire to, since the main EEC, WBO2, and engine harnesses are no longer there. If not, are there other good sources to wire to?
    Last edited by hookerbear; 07-14-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Ford red/light green wire = Holley red/white switched/keyed +12V wire. Read Step #2: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...464#post100464 (Related Fox Mustang/Holley EFI Forum Post).