Thread: W/M solenoid frequency?

Default W/M solenoid frequency? now solenoid issues?

I want to drive a Holley 1000cc W/M solenoid using a PWM output, what frequency should be set into the PWM configuration? The reason for doing this is that something in my Water/Meth configuration is not turning the pump or the solenoids on when I try to test the system, and I want to run the solenoids without using the W/M configuration.
    Last edited by 3pedals; 07-12-2019 at 12:12 AM.

The Holley product webpage (LINK) states, "Designed to operate at 50 Hz."
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thank you Danny.

You're welcome.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I've configured a PWM Output into a Solid State Relay to run my 1000cc W/M solenoids. Upon testing, the solenoids operate, but do not seem to pulse at all when commanded below 100%,they semm to go full open, and they get EXTREMELY hot in 5-10 seconds. So hot that I burnt my fingers touching it. Is this temp normal?

Upon pouring through all the instructions I can find, it says to use an injector driver, or a Holley W/M module. Is there a reason I can't use an SSR to drive the solenoids?

An SSR is not a device that transfers pulse width modulation signals well, which is why Holley recommends the proper driver/transistor device. Most of the time, the time it takes for the SSRs internal LED to turn off is the limiting factor for switching frequency. Also, a DC circuit is not as good as an AC circuit as the current in an AC circuit drops to zero between cycles which is used to turn on and turn off the power circuit in an SSR (known as zero crossing). A DC circuit does not modulate so the relay has no "zero crossing" to respond to. The heat you feel is related to the amp draw of the solenoids, not a result of PWM operation.

Thank you for this. I wasn't aware that a SSR was not a good way to use a PWM output. This brings up another question about using other PWM outputs, namely the staging assist. I'll start a new topic.