Thread: L21 7.4l

Default L21 7.4l

I have a L21 7.4L BBC. It has Coil-Near-Plug, a 24x reluctor wheel, and uses a cam sync distributor. From what I understand it's basically a LS1 setup. Can anyone tell me if the Terminator X will work with this setup? Thanks, Gene

As long as it's a true GM LSx 24x crank signal.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I do know that the firing order on the L21 is still the old 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, while the LSx is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. If the firing order cannot be selected in the EFI software, would it be possible to repin the ECU? Is this what you were referring to as a true LSx 24x crank signal?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Thompson View Post
    If the firing order cannot be selected in the EFI software, would it be possible to repin the ECU?
    Yes, the firing order is programmed in the EFI software. The firing order isn't the problem. I suggest you download the Terminator X EFI software.

Is this what you were referring to as a true LSx 24x crank signal?
    No. I'm referring to the actual GM LSx 24x tooth reluctor strategy. It's actually two rows of teeth. Search Google Images to view it.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Under Custom in the Crank Sensor Type, it gives you an 60-2 option. Danny, does this mean it will work with the Holley 60-2 crank sensor wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    No. I'm referring to the actual GM LSx 24x tooth reluctor strategy. It's actually two rows of teeth. Search Google Images to view it.
    Yes, this is what's on the L21. I have downloaded the EFI software, I just haven't had a chance to take a look at it. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    Under Custom in the Crank Sensor Type, it gives you an 60-2 option. Danny, does this mean it will work with the Holley 60-2 crank sensor wheel?
    Yes, same Custom Crank Sensor parameters too. For others reading this, it's not to be confused with the GM LSx 58x crank trigger; that's a different crank signal positioning strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Thompson View Post
    I have downloaded the EFI software, I just haven't had a chance to take a look at it. Thanks for your help!
    You're welcome.