Thread: Firmware update - Bricked ECU?

Default Firmware update - Bricked ECU?

My Dominator ECU has been working great for a couple years, and up until yesterday was running my engine, and communicating with my laptop perfectly. I saw that Version 4.0.110 Build 110 software and HEFI_4001100.eep were released, and it say to update specifically if you are running drive by wire, which I am.

I downloaded the software and firmware zip from the Holley website, installed it, and then proceeded to install it from my laptop.
    • The battery on the truck was fully charged, as was the laptop battery when I began the firmware update.
    • I sat with the laptop during the entire process to make sure that it didn’t go to sleep or anything that would possibly corrupt the install, BECAUSE I WAS NOT WANTING TO HAVE TO SEND IT IN TO HOLLEY.
    • Both steps of the install completed successfully (~30 mins).
    • Got a pop up saying that the flash was complete, and the ECU was rebooting.
    • Left it for 30 seconds or so, and after it didn’t do anything further, I closed the window, and cycled key power.

When I tried to load the Global Folder, I was not able to communicate with the ECU, and the RTC timed out, then the next line, then the next, repeatedly. It says there was an error (29) during the update.

I tried several things, including:
    • Disconnecting battery power to the ECU for an hour.
    • Deleting, then reinstalling the software on my laptop.
    • Attempting to reinstall firmware (would still not communicate with ECU to do this).
    • Attempting to flash firmware and install global folder from my 553-106 touch screen dash.
    • Swearing at it and throwing stuff around the shop.
    • Kicking my dog.

I have a 2nd Dominator ECU sitting in my shop right now for another project, I would like to update it to V4 to get this car running, but at this point, I’m terrified of updating the firmware for fear of bricking this ECU also.

I called Holley tech support, I already tried everything they suggested, and now I need to send it back.
    They are "going to look at it, see if they can fix it". Not getting a warm & fuzzy from them that this will be made right.
    I'd like to try all avenues to fix it myself before sending it off. Thanks.

Holley can usually fix ECUs that have a corrupted firmware installation. Read framed information:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2193#post72193 (EFI Software/ECU Firmware Problems)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. I already tried all of the things listed in the framed info you linked. Looks like I'm at Holley's mercy now.

What was your issue? Having the same error 29, but it allows me to revert back to V4 and syncs as it should.