Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying a carburetor.

Default Need help identifying a carburetor.

I have what looks like an aluminum Street Avenger. Numbers on the choke tower are:

Can anyone can verify the CFM?
    I really couldn't find it in the parts list I downloaded.
    Tech support is an over an hour wait, told me to call back and hung up on me, LOL.
    Google had an eBay add that called it a 670 cfm.
    The guy I got it from said it was a 750 cfm.
    I don't know. Help?
    Richard
    1969 C-10 SWB Step
    355 Small Block
    700R4 Trans, 2500 stall & 3.73 gears

The guy said that because he doesn't know, or guesses 750s sell better. Your carb is 670 Street Avenger. Production date would be 353rd day of 2014. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Thank you sir. I figured it was a 670. Either way, I still made out well on the deal. Since they are $470 new, I was at less than half of that on our swap deal. Still looks new.
    Richard
    1969 C-10 SWB Step
    355 Small Block

Good to hear you got a good deal. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Gary, since this a 2014 carb, and it's obviously been sitting around for a while. I hooked it up and it idles fine, but has a little stumble on tip-in off idle. Typically I would think that's accelerator pump, but I can visually see it dripping gas out of the venturi during the stumble. It revs fine once it stops dripping. It's not a lot of gas, or for very long maybe three seconds worth. In your opinion, would a leaky power valve cause that? I just haven't had a lot of time to mess with it. Was hoping someone could narrow down my search when I do.
    Richard
    1969 C-10 SWB Step
    355 Small Block

Any carb sitting for that long needs a kit put through it, including a dip in a acid bath, and/or some carb cleaner blasted through the passages with compressed air. It may well have a lazy power valve. The jetting could be not a match to the engine size.
    What engine is this fitted to now? I would check the air bleeds in the choke tower for foreign particle entry. Gary
    Regards, Gary

It's on a 355 small block, 10:1 Vortec heads. Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 300°/300° Duration @ .050" (Int/Exh): 246°/246°, Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .515"/.515" LSA/ICL: 108°. Vortec Super Victor intake. You're correct it probably needs to be cleaned up. I'm just so busy doing other stuff I can't find time to mess with my own truck!
    Richard
    1969 C-10 SWB Step
    355 Small Block

I can relate to that. I fix too many other cars to mess with my own. I fix cars for a living, so sometimes don't want to do any more after work. That 670 you have is a bit mild for your engine. I'd be fitting a 750 with 4 corner idle. Gary
    Regards, Gary

That's good stuff right there Gary. I've been looking for a good deal on a 750 DP and ran across this on on a trade. Figured it was worth the risk. When I say this one will work, but it's not what I want. People react like the 670 is more than enough for my engine. It's nice to be validated by someone every once and a while. I'd say you'd be surprised how many people think a 750 is too much for a small block. But you probably get it all the time.
    Richard
    1969 C-10 SWB Step
    355 Small Block

Yes, if any engine flows enough air to flow the Holley rating system of 1.5 inches Hg, then the engine is under carbureted and power is left on the table. Example would be 355 with a 465, the engine will get to 4500 RPM, then the manifold vacuum will start to climb, as if you're lifting the throttle, this shows the carb is then a restriction. I run a 750 annular on one of mine, baby 308, and an 850 annular on a 434. Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 07-10-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Regards, Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast