Thread: I don't know where to start.

Default I don't know where to start.

Let me start off by saying hi my name is Dave and I have been on this forum for the three weeks religiously. I'm NOT a big poster I would rather read other posts. BUT I feel like throwing this lil guy against the wall at this point. Looking for help and guidance.

I've installed the Sniper system (-513 8 injector) on my 555 BBC. A few issues are as follows.

1. Won't start if I reach through window, need to feather the throttle like a carb.
    2. Won't stay running dies out if I'm not feathering the throttle.
    3. When it does run, yes you guessed it (feathering throttle). It runs SO rich.

HOWEVER, I did get it to the point I could start like you should by adjusting throttle blades and IAC between 2 & 10%.
    Yes, I make adjustments after it has reached temperature.

4. So I took it for a ride, it ran well but not great. Had a low RPM miss. I'm guessing it was still learning? I was about 10 min into ride then all of a sudden...everything quit. Completely dead, NO DATA! on the handheld. Had my buddy with me we went trough wiring on side of road nothing. Got the trailer, ripped my V-band clamps off putting it on the trailer (irrelevant I know, but annoying to say the least).

I got it home checked all the wiring everything was good. Far enough away from the spark plug wires or any other dirty or otherwise RFI the next day I did stuff with the family then tried to troubleshoot car, turned the key fuel pump came on everything was fine.

OK, not fine. By fine I meant it is not dead. I am though back at #1. won't start if I reach through window.
    From reading the forums IS there a heat issue to resolve my #4 NO DATA! display? Should I use a wooden spacer? There is no real clear answer. Thanks in advance!

Start by datalogging. You need information to try and see what's happening.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Config File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley Sniper EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Config File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Config File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Config File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Datalog for sure. I pretty much always assume EMI issues and usually that ends up being correct. Occasionally, it ends up being a vacuum leak or leak around the WBO2 sensor. And sometimes just a factory defect. But we need to see a datalog to know for sure. In terms of initial startup, we need to see your Config File. There are basically two sets of Cranking Fuel you will get from the Wizard. One of them (race cam I believe) is extremely rich. It's an easy fix though. Hang in there. I know it's frustrating, but you will get it running well. I had miss starts like many do with tons of EMI and the car shutting off. I had to regroup, and pretty much rewire, but last week at the track the thing performed flawlessly.

OK, started it up today idle came around got it warmed up. I got shook for a hot minute. My Auto Meter said 200°F but sniper saw 175°F. I did swap out the Sniper supplied CTS with a Delphi one. Hit it with the Fluke IR gun and saw a 15°F swing. The Delphi was more accurate.

So back to where I was turned on datalogging and let it run through a fan cycle. I came in to upload the datalog and not there. I guess it doesn't automatically save, I did not hit stop. I went back out after dinner to grab data, WONT START. NO DATA! All red, it's so angry.

I was able to attach a pic of that. Holley had to take the +12V switched to the battery, still NO DATA. I've also tried to jiggle the wiring where the pins meet the sockets. Is this a heat gremlin? Hopefully I was able to attach a pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tempFileForShare_20190625-190106.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	8376