Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust pops under acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
    Did a datalog today, and nothing really stands out, except maybe the ignition timing which may not be right on for an LS3. Both banks have very similar AFR readings, low 12s when the exhaust is backfiring under load. Only on the passenger side. Can an exhaust change really do this?
    Ah, now it's a "backfire" under load, not just a pop. The engine must be misfiring intermittently, and unburnt fuel in the offending cylinder becomes the backfire in the exhaust. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Sorry if I don't have the terminology correct. It's popping through the passenger bank exhaust that I'm calling a backfire. No noticeable drop in power or anything, and pretty consistent. Could ignition timing cause this on just 1 bank? Maybe I'll swap ignition components from 1 side to the other.

Do you have side pipes on this? With no crossover, the exhaust will sound different from one side to the other because of the firing order. For me, a backfire is loud, where a popping sound would be not as loud, agree? Gary
    Regards, Gary

Agree, in that case it's more of a popping. Never in 1st gear, but every time in 2nd under hard acceleration. No side pipes, just full 2-1/2" exhaust leaves the 1-7/8" headers separately.

OK, how do you know it's the passenger side? Why not add an X-pipe in the middle? It will make more power, and not have as much "crackle"? Gary
    Regards, Gary

I have a torque arm suspension, so there's very little room for any kind of exhaust crossover. You can clearly tell that it's coming from the passenger side if you're in the car. Passengers can hear it too, sounds like something is wrong, makes me back off the throttle.

If the Base Fuel Table is well tuned, have you tried running it in Open Loop? Also, do you have a copy of a "known to be good" Global File? I wonder if the Learn Table indicates a significant change in that area:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....1842#post61842 (Learn Table - Diagnostic/Troubleshooting Tool)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

That's a good point Danny. I'll try the last known to be known good Global File. I save them every now & then. I'll also check the Learn Table again.

Yeah, the tune might reveal a clue to the issue (like maybe an exhaust leak upstream of the WBO2 sensor).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I can't see an exhaust system change causing this issue. But also, why would a tuning issue cause this? Have you had the spark plugs out for inspection?
    Regards, Gary

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast