Thread: Greetings from the Netherlands & Global File question.

Default Greetings from the Netherlands & Global File question.

Hi Guys and girls. I'm Yvo from the Netherlands 41 years old and own a 1978 F250 RWD with a 460 engine. Future goal is to stroke the engine to 521 and put some Kaase P51 heads on it (parts are ordered). Right now I have modified the base engine to Holley MPFI.
    I'm a newbie to EFI, so I had a tremendous help on this forum to get the car starting. In particular, many thanks to Danny! I do not know you, but you're like a teacher to me!
    But now I'm wondering if my base map is set right. There are so many parameters that it's a bit overwhelming to understand everything at first sight. Is there somebody out there who can overlook my Global File if I have done things right? The engine runs, but not so smooth. Perhaps I have to drive more hours to self Learn, but I also encounter idle problems and long time to start (about 4 sec). Also, setting the IAC to 5% is very hard it idles now good with 0%, but that's not the intention.

My setup is the following:
    • Stock Ford 460 engine.
    • Cam, no idea probably stock.
    • 4BBL Holley 1000 cfm Throttle body.
    • Edelbrock Torker 2 EFI intake.
    • Edelbrock fuel rails.
    • Holley regulator, pump 80 GPH & filters.
    • 48 lb/h injectors (for future goal).
    • Holley Dual Sync distributor.
    • CNP Holley Smart coils.
    • Hooker headers.

Hope somebody can help me out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Yvo; 06-13-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvo View Post
    In particular, many thanks to Danny! I do not know you, but you're like a teacher to me!
    You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment.

P.S. I cannot upload the base file in this thread.
    Your forum membership account is registered and in good standing (so no posting restrictions).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

You can zip the file and post it here, or use a file sharing site. It helps if you post datalogs with your Global Files.

This is a copy & paste from one of my other posts:
    For further assistance, post your Global File and a short datalog of this occurrence for us to analyze.
    Also, review the datalog and inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs.
    Datalog & Global Files must be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Files can also be "zipped" (compressed zipped folder) & attached directly to a forum post.
    Your Global File is in the "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI V4", "Global Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Your Datalogs are in the "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI V4", "Datalogs" folder (.V4.dl file).
    Someone will analyze/troubleshoot the problem & offer advice. Also, ensure all this is right:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks TransAm. That was the trick, learning every minute. Global File is added in first post.
    Last edited by Yvo; 06-13-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks Danny. Datalogging for me, is the next step. I have not yet figured out how this works in the EFI software. I'll read the initial checks post, still a lot to discover.

Do some reading on Injector End Angle. You can make an engine run much better when this is optimized.

Datalogging for me, is the next step. I have not yet figured out how this works in the EFI software.
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Global File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Global File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Global File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Global File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog & System Log Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7OZUXLRS1Q (How To Record A System Log & Diagnose A No-Start Condition)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)

I'll read the initial checks post, still a lot to discover. Thanks Danny.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    Do some reading on Injector End Angle. You can make an engine run much better when this is optimized.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....0396#post70396 (Injector End Angle Tuning Information)

What a flashback! Curious as to your mileage. In the early 80s I had a '74 F-150 with the 460 and it got *maybe* 6.5 MPGs. Ran great but the range was < 120 miles per tank when gas was under $1 per gallon here. Russ

My previous vehicle was a '78 Ford Bronco with a 508" big block Ford, and it got 12 miles per gallon. Holley Dominator EFI, MPFI & DIS, 60-2 custom crank trigger & 1x cam sync unit, 66 lb/hr injectors, 11:1 compression, 230°/235° duration @ .050" hydraulic camshaft, Trick Flow PowerPort heads & Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap, 1000 CFM throttle body, dual 3" exhaust, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 4.10 gears, 35" mud tires.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Holley's base calibrations are not designed for good fuel economy.
    Good fuel economy is a direct result of the fine-tuning performed on the EFI system.
    NOTE - I've found the following EFI tables to be the most significant areas for improving fuel economy:
    Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table (too rich in cruising area).
    Ignition Timing Table (not enough advance in cruising area & light acceleration area).
    Acceleration Enrichment Tables (way too rich once Fuel Table is self-tuned).
    Coolant Temperature Enrichment & A/F Ratio Offset Tables (base calibrations too rich).
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8640#post88640 (AFR & Timing Information)