Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley Sniper stopped running while driving.

Default Holley Sniper stopped running while driving.

So I was driving my car the other night and I was running along when suddenly the car starts sputtering and shuts off. I get the car to startup and run but only under throttle at 3000 plus RPM and dumped lots of fuel smoke out of the exhaust. I got it home and started checking things. Timing was good, pulled the valve covers off and checked the rockers and push rods, changed coil, new plug wires, checked for a stuck fuel injector, everything was fine. When I started pulled the fuel relay the car would run good until it ran out of gas. Pulled the plugs after trying to get it to run and they were completely black and soaked in fuel. Replaced them and tried it again and nothing changed. I put a new tune in it and let it get up to temp and then turned Closed Loop back on and it did nothing. I went through all the stuff with the IAC checking it and also put tape on it and it changed nothing. I called Holley and sent it in and they charged me 250 to put in a new ECU because they said it was fried even though every sensor worked, so I payed it and they sent it back. I put it on the car with a new WBO2 sensor and clean plugs and nothing changed. So I bought an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator and put it on and it still didn't change. I called Holley again and they sent me a new CTS & WBO2 sensor, put it on and nothing changed. I was using an MSD box as a coil driver for this and I replaced it with a the Sniper coil driver and nothing changed. The car is spitting gas out of the bowls when it is trying to run, I think it is just flooding even though they said it passed tech. I have had hell with this, any ideas?
    Last edited by 94 mustang guy; 06-07-2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Added more

2. Default

Holley service center only had access to your Sniper when performing their checks. They didn't have access to your fuel system on your vehicle. During Sniper installation the manual recommends measuring the fuel pressure. Did you confirm the fuel pressure (inlet side) during installation and prior to changing fuel pressure regulator when the problem first presented and again now that a new FPR has been added? Confirm the fuel pressure and confirm the return line has no pressure. Make sure the return line is not blocked or kinked as this can add to excessive pressure in the system. Datalogs and Config File would also help. Review the datalogs looking at AFR. Suspect Actual AFR would be presenting a rich condition (low numeric number). Gary.
    1970 XW Fairmont (presented as a GT Falcon Replica), 351 Cleveland with Aussie 302 2V closed chamber heads. Edelbrock F351 2V dual plane intake manifold. Camtech CT21544 (234/238@050", 570/579lift, 2600-6200rpm quoted range, 110lobes) 1.73:1 roller rockers. AOD Transmission. Ford 9" 3.5 Diff ratio. Pacemaker #PH4050 2v Tri-Y extractors to 2.5" Hi Flow V-Tex merge pipe with dual 2.5" exhaust through Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers. Holley Sniper EFI 4150 Super Sniper 650 with HyperSpark Ignition.

Did you look down the TB when it's running, to see if one of the injectors is stuck open?

I put the regulator on the car and set it at 60 psi and dialed it in on the handheld, the gauge stayed dead on at 60 psi while the car was running but didn't change how it was running. The AFRs don't read really rich even though it is dumping gas smoke out of they exhaust. I have had three wideband sensors on it and they all read the same. I have put in all new tunes and tried my old ones, they all do the same. It ran fine for months and stopped at the snap of a finger. It is sending so much fuel it is washing the walls out and it backfires and runs terrible. The return line is not clogged because if it was the gauge on the regulator would be building pressure. With the regulator I capped off the return on the Sniper and ran the main line, line to Sniper and return line through the regulator. Nothing has changed the way it's running, but it had a lot of symptoms of just pouring fuel into it.

All injectors are working and seem to be working evenly, but it's spraying so much fuel that it's splashing out of the bowls with no hat on it while it's trying to run. We got the car to idle, but only with the IAC screw opened up a lot and the blades are partially open when it's trying to idle.

Do you have any old datalogs you can compare to a current datalog? So you can compare the fuel flow and IPW to see if they have changed.

I have old datalogs. I'm gonna have to at least change the oil before I can get one now, it has washed the cylinder walls out and the oil has gas in it and I don't want to hurt the engine. I'm gonna call Holley tomorrow and see about sending it in and having them check it and see about getting it fixed. They told me to call them after I checked the new WBO2 sensor and CTS if that didn't fix it and it didn't fix it.

Also check the RPM signal.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Check TPS as well.

Yes, check every sensor, as stated below:

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Config File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley Sniper EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Config File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Config File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Config File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, check every sensor, as stated below:
    My SWAG is the MAP sensor took a hike.
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast