Thread: Holley V5 Build 110 Fuel System Injection Type Custom "Low Impedance" Injectors

Default Holley V5 Build 110 Fuel System Injection Type Custom "Low Impedance" Injectors

When selecting Injection Type Custom, where do you define the Injector Impedance?
    After selecting Fuel System/Injection Type Custom, I select Configure Injector Sets and enter the following.
    1 Injector set, Sequential
    8 injectors
    System Type Custom
    Flow rate 275 lb/hr
    Rated Injector Pressure 43.5 psi
    Actual System Pressure 43.5 psi
    Min Injector Opening Time 1.5 ms
    Driver Setup
    8:2
    etc.

When you go "back" and select Injection type multi-port or TBI, whatever was configured previously on that page for injector set is changed to High Impedance, 9999.9 lb/hr, 999.9 psi. This seems to cause problems syncing the custom config with the ECU which requires low impedance injectors set.

That's what the "Driver Setup" selection dictates (in Configure Injector Sets).

HIGH IMPEDANCE INJECTORS — Most injectors can be divided
    into two major categories: high impedance 12 to 16 Ohms and
    low impedance 1.2 to 4.0 Ohms. The high impedance injectors
    are used with ECUs that are designed with saturation drivers.
    The advantage of using saturation drivers is that the currents
    running through the ECU circuits and the injectors are relatively
    low thus generating less heat. The disadvantage of saturation
    drivers is that the driver has a slower response time, which could
    affect the full utilization of such a system at very high engine RPM.

LOW IMPEDANCE INJECTORS — The low impedance injectors
    are designed to be run with an ECU that employs peak & hold
    drivers (also called current sensing or current limiting drivers).
    The current ratio (peak to hold) is generally 4:1, and the most
    common drivers available are 4A peak/1A hold or 2A peak/0.5A hold.
    The peak current is generated to overcome the inertia of the closed
    valve and once the valve is open the driver cuts down to 1/4 of the
    peak current to hold the injector open until the end of the metering
    event. Low impedance injector designs are mostly used in high flow
    applications.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, 8:2 is low impedance. Once you set Injection Type to Custom, and then configure the injector set properly, don't touch the Injection type or the underlying setting under "Configure Injector Sets" will be changed to default setting. I.E. 160 lb/hr Holley Injectors, 43 psi, 43 psi, 0 ms Driver Type 4:1 Standard. The Injector off time does look like it's preserved correctly. Thanks, Ed

You're welcome.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

How is Injection Type "Multipoint" with 1 set of Low Impedance injectors vs custom with 1 set of Low Impedance set for 4:1 or 8:2? I can get the engine to run when set to Multipoint, but not 4:1 or 8:2. When set to 4:1 or 8:2 is doesn't want to fire. I'm using Billet Atomizers 3 275 lb/hr injectors.

You'll have to contact Holley Tech Service (LINK), because I'm not familiar with that size fuel injector.

What are you running for ignition? MSD? Adjustable Dwell or Fixed? For Atomizer 3, they need 8:2 peak hold current due to the slightly lower than low impedance.

When running Billet Atomizer 3 injectors, you may want to select "Custom" from the Driver drop down box.
    Then select 8.75:2.5 for Peak & Hold amps. The Peak Timeout may not need to be 5ms, so start low and see what happens.

What this does is feed as much current as possible that the ECU can supply to prevent issues above 60% duty cycle.
    I reviewed my datalogs from when I was having issues and noted several times when the Duty Cycle hit 60%, it'd "clip" and the demanded increased fuel didn't happen and the engine would fall flat.

If you never see above 60% Duty Cycle, you may not need to step up to the injector driver box which guarantees a big enough Peak current on BA3s to open them properly. I'll know if my issues are fixed in two weeks at the last T&T of the year. YMMV.

Swapped out the Billet Atomizer 3 275 lb/hr for a set of FID275, the Raven now idles without eating plugs & oil. Minimum Injector Opening Time on these is set to 0.70 ms. Runs fine on 93 & C16.

Got some help from a friend and my Billet Atomizer 3s run fine on the 8.75:2 driver at 1.5ms peak using V5.130. This is on methanol, so the idle is around 1.7ms.