Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Get Car to Maintain Idle

Question Cannot Get Car to Maintain Idle

Hi. I just got done installing a new Holley HP EFI system & Pro Dash in my sand car, but I cannot get the idle to maintain steady at 1000-1200 RPM. I'm running the 550-602N system with my naturally aspirated LS1, latest V5 110 Firmware. I'm running an MSD AirForce Intake Manifold with Holley 105mm Low RPM Taper Throttle Body. GM ASA Camshaft, Lift: .525" Int./.525" Exh. Duration: 226° Int/236° Exh. @ .050" Lift, 110° Lobe Centerline. I have performed a TPS Autoset and TPS is at 0%, but every time I try to let the car idle, it just keeps fluctuating up & down in RPM and cannot find steady idle. Any suggestions?

Enable Idle Spark and start with P=50, D=40. Also, check your TPS & MAP Blanking (Fuel Modifiers/Fuel Control). Make sure they are not too low, start with 8 & 8.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....e-Tuning-Notes (EFI Idle Tuning Notes - Read This!)
    Read the 4th & 5th paragraphs: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2523#post62523 (Holley EFI Tuning Tips & Information)
    Ensure all of this is right: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Also I just started up my project today for first time. RAMJET 350 on ZZ5 Vortec type SBC. It uses basically a LS1 type throttle body. On initial start I was having problems with idle with stalling and also on first drive I had occasional stall on clutch in at speed. When I got home I looked and at hot idle I was at 35-40% IAC per recommendation that Danny has posted. Before I adjusted the set screw until my hot idle is now in 5% IAC range. Starts great, idles great, no clutch stalls this afternoon.

I did also drop the Cranking Fuel by about 10% prior to adjusting the set screw. This did help some as it was very rich, but the trick for me so far was getting the set screw correct.

How I set it was observed with Camaro running what the IAC was, shut it off gave the set screw a couple turns, turned ign on, did TPS Autoset, started, observed IAC at hot idle, repeated a couple times until I had it dialed in.

I have to say that so far the Holley is quite impressive. I'm use to doing all E38/E67, and older 165 TPI type. I never have had such a quick initial dial in that is now basically driveable with so little effort, time will tell, but I'm thinking Holley now for all my projects. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fastmanefi View Post
    Enable Idle Spark and start with P=50, D=40. Also, check your TPS & MAP Blanking (Fuel Modifiers/Fuel Control). Make sure they are not too low, start with 8 & 8.
    You can also set the idle control strategy to "SLOW." I suspect what's happening is that the timing is not constant in the idle area and that the fueling is probably way off. I'm using the same ASA cam in my 5.3L and it took a while to really dial the idle in. Andrew

Thanks for the info, but where do I find this setting for the idle control strategy to change it to SLOW?

Idle ICF drop down menu on the right upper part. I forgot what the label is exactly.
    IG @projectgattago

IAC Control, Advanced Idle Control in the Idle ICF.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    IAC Control, Advanced Idle Control in the Idle ICF.
    Yes, there. Thanks Danny.
    IG @projectgattago

You're welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast