Thread: Carbon Fouling Plugs

Default Carbon Fouling Plugs

I'm pretty sure this is related to overfueling. Question is, when setting up a new engine combination should the AE tables all be zeroed out? This was a base tune for a turbo SBF and I keep carbon fouling the plugs on every cylinder. Doubt it's coil or plug related, as with fresh plugs it will run great until they get sooted up again. Also, with the car running should I try pulling fuel and if I do so, should I be focusing on where the live cursor is floating around or concentrate on a larger group of cells surrounding the cursor? I'm pretty sure it's just getting way too much fuel or an AE table is setup incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by 438wStang View Post
    Question is, when setting up a new engine combination should the AE tables all be zeroed out?
    No, the base calibration settings are fine.

Which MAP sensor is installed, and which base calibration did you use to create your Global File?
    The base calibration you start with, must correspond to the MAP sensor you're using!
    Selecting the correct MAP sensor in the Sensors ICF does not rectify the wrong Base Fuel & Timing Tables.
    Ensure all this is correct: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)

Remember, the base calibration you start with, must correspond to the MAP sensor you're using:
    For example, you can't use a naturally aspirated base calibration for a forced induction engine.
    This is because the 2,3,5 bar MAP sensor selection only changes the kPa load Y-axis, but not the Base Fuel Table lb/hr
    values (creating an excessively lean map) or the Base Timing Table degree values (excessively advanced timing map).
    You must choose a 2,3,5 bar base calibration or reconfigure your existing Global File's Fuel & Timing Tables accordingly.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4365#post44365 (MAP kPa & RPM Axis Configuration/Tuning Information)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I have a 3 bar MAP, the tune was sent from Steve Morris, but was a base tune for a turbo SBF.
    1) Gone back and set the Fuel Modifiers.
    Coolant Temp Enrichment is set to 100% across the table. A/F Ratio Offset is 0 across the table.
    On those tables where it displays MAP vertically, those values should be close to the range of psi I'll be running correct?

2) You can go to those tables while engine is running and view what it's doing?

3) Should the Base Timing MAP (psi) & RPM axis numbers match the Base Fuel Table axis?

4) If my idle is set at 1000 RPM I then should go to my Base Fuel Table and set the Lowest RPM value at say 800 RPM? (Currently lowest RPM value is 450 RPM.)
    Then open a second Holley window with my tune and copy & paste the values from 800 RPM on to the Base Fuel Table AND the Base Timing Table?

5) Currently my Base Fuel Table and my Base Timing Table axis numbers do not match (mainly the psi).
    It was initially set to 31 psi on the Base Timing Table, this should match the Base Fuel Table correct?

6) Fuel Modifiers tables the MAP (psi) values should also be the same as the Base Fuel Table axis values?

7) How do you determine the lowest value of MAP (psi) to enter into the Base Fuel Table etc., currently it's at -14.5?

Sorry about all the questions, I know my best option will be to get the car actually tuned, but I want to
    better understand the system so it's not like a foreign language when I get around to getting it tuned.

EDIT: Sorry, I repeated some questions, I was jotting them down.

Quote Originally Posted by 438wStang View Post
    I have a 3 bar MAP, the tune was sent from Steve Morris, but was a base tune for a turbo SBF.
    Pay attention to Step #1: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)

1) Gone back and set the Fuel Modifiers.
    Coolant Temp Enrichment is set to 100% across the table. A/F Ratio Offset is 0 across the table.
    On those tables where it displays MAP vertically, those values should be close to the range of psi I'll be running correct?
    6) Fuel Modifiers tables the MAP (psi) values should also be the same as the Base Fuel Table axis values?
    Yes, I use an condensed version of my Base Fuel/Timing Table axes, but I start with a higher MAP kPa value at the bottom cell.

2) You can go to those tables while engine is running and view what it's doing?
    Yes, with the USB data cable connected and "Online" with the ECU, the live cursor indicates where the engine currently is.

3) Should the Base Timing MAP (psi) & RPM axis numbers match the Base Fuel Table axis?
    5) Currently my Base Fuel Table and my Base Timing Table axis numbers do not match (mainly the psi).
    It was initially set to 31 psi on the Base Timing Table, this should match the Base Fuel Table correct?
    They usually do.

4) If my idle is set at 1000 RPM I then should go to my Base Fuel Table and set the Lowest RPM value at say 800 RPM? (Currently lowest RPM value is 450 RPM.)
    Then open a second Holley window with my tune and copy & paste the values from 800 RPM on to the Base Fuel Table AND the Base Timing Table?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4365#post44365 (MAP kPa & RPM Axis Configuration/Tuning Information)

7) How do you determine the lowest value of MAP (psi) to enter into the Base Fuel Table etc., currently it's at -14.5?
    Record & review a datalog of a road test. Then program the Base Fuel/Timing Table axes so there's no lost resolution. In other words, omit unnecessary MAP kPa rows.

Sorry about all the questions, I know my best option will be to get the car actually tuned, but I want to
    better understand the system so it's not like a foreign language when I get around to getting it tuned.
    I can certainly respect that. (I determined from your other posts that you have the Dominator EFI.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.