Thread: 553-109 Stand-Alone RPM issues & DS sensor.

Default 553-109 Stand-Alone RPM issues & DS sensor.

As stated, 553-109 Stand-Alone Digital Dash Kit, with MSD Grid. Tach is erratic. After several calls to the tech line, an input conditioner was installed, tach signal wire was shielded, and a dedicated ground ran to the battery. Still have the same issue. I was told "it's a known problem and we don't have a solution for." So, I use a crank trigger (on the crank obviously), but also have a crank trigger distributor in which the pickup is not being used. Can I use the crank trigger distributor as an RPM input? How would I wire it? To what channel?
    Last edited by DJ's PEM; 05-29-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Holley EFI only has one RPM (crank) signal input. Is this the Holley EFI Tach Input Conditioner you installed (LINK)?
    http://www.motorsportsinnovations.co...i-sensors.html (Hall-Effect Driveshaft Speed Sensor Kits)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yes, that's the conditioner I used.

I'm five calls into the tech line, 2.5 hours on hold, with no resolution to my tach issue. Can I get around the tach signal issue by changing IO3 from tach to RPM speed and use the magnetic pickup in the distributor as that? If I cannot use the magnetic pickup in the distributor, I can machine a Hall-Effect collar to attach to the mandrel on the crank, and change IO3 to RPM speed? If that does work, I can still use IO4 as RPM speed for a DS sensor correct, or not?

RPM Input:
    • RPM can be from a Coil (-) connection at pin B26,or a points/tach output at pin B5.
    • The I/O Adapter contains circuitry to protect from fly-back voltage when connected to a Coil (-) input. If using this type of connection for an RPM signal, pin B26 MUST be used or damage to the dash may occur. Pin B5 is to be used with a tach output or similar signal. The Black/White wire at pin 19 must be connected to a battery or chassis ground for the RPM and gauge signals to operate properly.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10954rev2.pdf (Holley 553-109 Stand-Alone Digital Dash I/O Adapter Instructions)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instruction Manual)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.