View Poll Results: What features would you use if a software update was made available?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sensor Safety Setup

5 38.46%
  • Switched Caution / Warning Output

5 38.46%
  • Non-Electronic Transmission TCC Control

5 38.46%
  • 3.5" TSLCD Programmable Dash, Input and Output Naming

7 53.85%
  • ECU Logging Setup

11 84.62%
  • Water / Meth Injection

2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: (Firmware/Software) New Functionality Request for Holley Sniper product line.

Lightbulb (Firmware/Software) New Functionality Request for Holley Sniper product line.

Disclaimer - Don't get your hopes up.
    These are just ideas I would like to share with Holley. Hoping there is enough programmable headroom within the existing Sniper controller that could provide new features through firmware/software updates alone.
    Apologies for the long post.

I'm hoping Holley's EFI product manager and software lead could review the feature request, assess the validity of the request, assess the benefits then look to scheduling each features development into the products road map for future firmware/software releases.
    We've seen a continued release to the hardware side of the Snipers product line with new models becoming available which indicates Holley is committed to the continued development and expansion of the Sniper product line. I'm hoping we can allocate a small amount of the development budget to add new features to the software side to benefit all Sniper owners.
    Maybe during the next team meeting discuss the features for a few minutes, determine an estimated time line / cost to implement each then provide a continuous flow of caffeinated beverages to the software team so they can turn caffeine into code and many happy Sniper owners.

To help the business case to incorporate firmware/software changes into the products road map:
    -What features below would you use if a software update was made available to the Sniper product line?
    -Would the described functionality below meet your requirements with the Sniper product line?

---- Sensor Safety Setup -----
    From within Sniper Software, Sensors \ Safety Setup
    Maintain the existing actions in the drop down menu (Ignore, Cut Ignition, Offset Timing).
    Request -- Add each available spare Output # to the drop down menu.
    Re-use the existing Sensor Safety Setup control logic.
    This change only requires the ability to select spare unused Output #s as the triggered action.

A few examples I can think of for how Safety Setup could be used when triggering outputs:
    - Sniper triggered Shift Light based on RPM above your desired shift point.
    - Sniper triggered Inter-cooler external water spray when MAT is above your desired temperature.
    - Sniper triggered Radiator water spray when CTS is above your desired temperature.
    - Sniper triggered Broadband Manifold actuator when RPM is above your BBM's change over point.

This functionality may help with use cases from:
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ghlight=output
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ghlight=output
    ---- Sensor Safety Setup ----- END -----

---- Switched Caution / Warning Output -----
    Spare unused Sniper Ground triggered outputs could be used to trigger a Relay, wired to drive an external warning Light / Strobe / Sounder / etc. should a configured sensor warning limit occur.
    As with Holley EFI V5, the user could then select multiple sensors that require a common external notification when a caution or warning limit has been reached.
    Useful for users that don't have visual access to their LCD screen or when you need an external visual/audible warning (race / track conditions).

Changes needed for Sniper Software use:
    Reuse existing concept from Holley EFI V5 Sensor pages. As found under System Parameters \ Sensor Scaling/Warnings \ Sensor Warnings. Specifically the two tick boxes for 'Enable Switched Caution Output' and 'Enable Switched Warning Output'.
    Add these two tick boxes within the Holley Sniper EFI Software to each of the sensors 'Sensor Warnings' page. Add to all sensors including the custom sensor inputs for Super Sniper users.
    Add a new menu within Holley Sniper EFI Software under System Parameters \ Basic I/O \ Sensor Warning Outputs.
    Add the 'Switched Caution Output' and 'Switched Warning Output' items to this new menu along with the 'Output' Drop down menu adjacent to both so the user can allocate an available spare Output #.

This functionality may help with use cases from:
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...563#post210563
    ---- Switched Caution / Warning Output ----- END ------

---- Non-Electronic Transmission TCC Control ----
    A spare unused Sniper Gnd triggered output could be used to trigger a Relay that is wired to drive the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid (or Overdrive Lockout/Delete or Gear Vendor enable).
    ON / OFF functionality only. Not PWM.
    Reuse existing TCC Lockup Settings menu from Holley EFI V5. As found under System Parameters \ Basic I/O \ TCC \ Lockup Settings
    Possibly add it to Holley Sniper EFI Software under System Parameters \ Basic I/O \ Lockup Settings
    Reuse existing Non-Electronic Transmission TCC Lockup control logic from Holley EFI product line. Noting each of the TCC triggers that I'm aware of (TPS, RPM, CTS, MAP) are available within Sniper.

Changes needed for Sniper use:
    - The TCC menu would need the 'Output' Drop down menu so the user can allocate an available Output #.

Optional Changes needed for Sniper 3.5" TSLCD (Or leave this feature as Sniper software enabled only should hand-held development time/cost deny its inclusion):
    - Re-use the existing Holley EFI 3.5" TSLCD TCC Parameters menu. (Currently accessed from the Holley EFI -- Home Menu \ Tuning \ Basic \ Transmission \ TCC Params)
    - Keep things consistent for users who change between Holley product lines by placing the TCC Parameters menu in the same location on Sniper 3.5" TSLCD.
    - This sets up the Transmission menu location for Holley's future stand-alone transmission controller (Sniper EFI compatible) should that product eventuate. Leaving the unused Transmission sub-menus hidden until required.

Additional improvement to TCC software function block -- add a "Min Unlock RPM" -- Overdrive lockout/Delete and Gear Vendor users may need this to help disengage the output when decreasing RPM.

Users running standalone after market electronic Transmission controllers may also leverage from Sniper TCC control via the 'TCC apply input' on the B&M Shift Plus TCU / TCI transmission controller for example.
    This has been questioned on the Holley forums multiple times.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...rque-converter
    ----- Non-Electronic Transmission TCC Control ------ END ------

---- 3.5" TSLCD Programmable Dash, Input and Output Naming ------
    -The ability to change the Programmable Input and Output labels when displayed on the custom Dash 1, 2 or 3.
    -The ability to change the programmable Custom 5v inputs labels (and engineering units) for Super Sniper owners with additional inputs assigned to custom applications.
    -The ability to label the custom outputs E.g. the output could be configured to TCC and the user could label it to suit. So when the status is changing between ON and OFF, it refers to TCC or ODLockout as the user requires.
    (I personally use the 3.5" TSLCD custom dash functionality and I would like to see its functionality taken that small step further to improve my own user experience, but others have commented on the limitation within the forums which indicates others have experienced the same.)
    The number of characters used in the label would are limited (~14x characters based on existing maximum characters counts on items with longer labels)

Changes needed for Sniper 3.5" TSLCD:
    A 'Rename' menu option would be needed to modify the custom input and output labels. Logically this new menu option should be added under the existing 'Scaling of Channel: xxxxx' menu option in the 3.5" TSLCD.
    The existing 'Cancel' & 'Save' buttons could be made a smaller to fit a 'Rename' button beside them.
    The rename menu would provide the mini keyboard (as seen when saving your config file and naming it), allowing the user to change the sensor label and engineering units.

This functionality might be useful for all 3.5" TSLCD users not just Sniper owners. E.G. Terminator(X), HP, Dominator, etc. owners that use the 3.5" TSLCD as their only/primary display.
    ---- 3.5" TSLCD Programmable Dash, Input and Output Naming ------ END -----

---- ECU Logging Setup ------ CLOSED --- AVAILABLE FROM WITHIN 3.5" TSCLCD MENUS
    Allow Sniper users the ability to configure "Input Triggered" or "On startup data logging".
    As per Holley Software EFI V5 \ Datalog \ Setup ECU Logging \
    Re-use existing functionality to help Sniper users capture datalogs without the need to manually enable the log each time from the 3.5" TSLCD.
    Useful for datalogging events based on triggered inputs to help capture logs when tuning.
    Also useful for users running Sniper in Race/Track conditions that would benefit from continuous data logging through an 'On Startup Data logging' function.

Example
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?45686-Diagram-instructions-for-wiring-toggle-switch-for-datalogging/page2

Available from within the 3.5" TSCLCD Menus. From the Home menu, select Logging then select Setup.
    The current documentation for Sniper (rev 4-12-18) and Super Sniper (rev 5-21-19) do not show how to access this functionality.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OLD Logging.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	8322
    Reviewing recently released Sniper product documentation provided the details on how to access this functionality. Note the additional 'Setup' menu button on the below screen shot. Confirmed to be available within handheld firmware version FW_01_01_0290.fwu. Suspect it should be available from FW_01_01_0150.fwu based on firmware release notes but I hadn't noticed it previously when looking through the menus.
    If you require an 'On Startup datalogging' you could configure the 'Log Trigger' to start when the RPM is above 100 rpm so during engine cranking it would start logging.

Paragraph taken from https://documents.holley.com/199r11772.pdf
    Triggering an Automatic Datalog
    Sniper EFI can be setup to automatically datalog based of sensor inputs. This allows a user to capture a datalog every time a certain scenario happens. Pressing the Setup Icon on the Data Logging Screen, will bring the Log Trigger Screen. A user can use these parameters to activate a datalog undercertain criteria. The datalog will continue to run until the user selects the stop Stop Log Icon, or the ignition is turned off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TSCLCD_Datalogging_Trigger.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	8321
    ---- ECU Logging Setup ------ END ------ CLOSED ----

---- Water / Meth Injection ------
    Re-use existing functionality as found in EFI V5 when adding WM configuration from the toolbox.
    Add to Sniper in the same way Sniper Software presents 'Enable Boost / Nitrous / Advanced' under its toolbox so it would present 4x menu enable options instead of 3x.
    Existing Sniper Nitrous strategy allows for a PWM output, so the existing EFI V5 WM strategy should also be allowed to use a PWM output when migrated to Sniper.
    - Ability to assign W/M Pump activation output should the user have an extra output available.
    - Ability to assign spare Inputs (wired as ground triggered) to 'W/M Low Fluid' or 'W/M Manual Enable' should the user have spare inputs and wish to disable when not needed or available.
    Maybe only 1x W/M Solenoid stage due to the limited I/O available with the Sniper and the W/M Low Fluid output would allow the user to select the "Switched Caution or Warning Output" feature above rather than a dedicated output.

Multiple forum users have been requesting methods of using their Sniper to control W/M systems so there appears to be a use case for the Sniper market.
    ---- Water / Meth Injection ------ END ------

---- Closed Loop Parameter - Advanced Control drop down menu ------ LOW PRIORITY
    Closed Loop Parameter - Advanced Control drop down menu 'sometimes' missing.
    Tested and observed with Holley Sniper EFI v1.2 Build 4 & v1.2 Build 17.
    When navigating to the Closed Loop Parameters page from the top icon menu or the side menu, the drop down is consistently visible. When viewing the Learn Parameters page then navigating back to Closed Loop Parameters using the Closed Loop Parameters button within the Learn Parameters page, the advanced control drop down is not visible until the mouse cursor has moved over the drop down location.
    Suitable work a rounds are available. Navigate via the top or side menus or move mouse over location to recover.
    Myself, I would rather the software team work on new functionality vs spending time correcting this.

---- Closed Loop Parameter - Advanced Control drop down menu ------ END ------

---- Coil (-) Ignition - Null Timing values from TSLCD ------ LOW PRIORITY
    Some users running Sniper without timing control have reported confusion while viewing the TSLCD displays as they continue to present the Ignition Timing channel.
    When Sniper is configured for non timing control, recommend the pre-configured displays remove the Ignition Timing channel to prevent the confusion.
    Either zero out the channel, change its colour to represent it is not applicable, change it to show "N/A", or replace the Ignition Timing channel on all displays with an alternate channel whenever timing control is disabled.

---- Coil (-) Ignition - Null Timing values from TSLCD ------ END ------

---- Fan Delay until engine is running ------ LOW PRIORITY
    Some users will high electrical load from cooling fans are finding problems restarting a hot engine.
    Currently when Key On, Engine Off where the CTS is higher then the fan on trigger, the fan/s start causing a drop to battery voltage and thus difficulty starting the engine.
    Some users prefer the fans not to be activated unless the engine is actually running (like myself).
    Request the following option to be made available. Other Holley EFI users may also benifet from this option as they currently have to define custom controls to do the same.
    Under the 'System Paramaters \ Basic I/O \ Electric Fans' menu option, add a tick box option to prevent fan activation when engine is not running. EG prevent fan activation if <400 RPM. Once RPM has been met, continue fan lockout for 10 seconds to let the engine, the CTS and alternator stabilize before returning normal fan operation.

---- Fan Delay until engine is running ------ END ------

Regards, Gary
    Holley Sniper EFI Firmware Revision Log
    Holley Sniper EFI ECU
    Holley Sniper EFI SD Card Contents
    Holley Sniper EFI Releases
    Holley Software/Firmware
    Holley fuel injection technical support
    Holley Sniper Software and Firmware Updates
    Holley Sniper EFI Firmware Update
    Holley Sniper Firmware latest version?
    Last edited by XW_Falcon_351C; 12-12-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added -- Fan Delay until engine is running --
    1970 XW Fairmont (presented as a GT Falcon Replica), 351 Cleveland with Aussie 302 2V closed chamber heads. Edelbrock F351 2V dual plane intake manifold. Camtech CT21544 (234/238@050", 570/579lift, 2600-6200rpm quoted range, 110lobes) 1.73:1 roller rockers. AOD Transmission. Ford 9" 3.5 Diff ratio. Pacemaker #PH4050 2v Tri-Y extractors to 2.5" Hi Flow V-Tex merge pipe with dual 2.5" exhaust through Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers. Holley Sniper EFI 4150 Super Sniper 650 with HyperSpark Ignition.

The Super Snipers have the ability to accept three pressure sensors, but you can't do see the data since the values can't be displayed on the handheld as oil pressure, fuel pressure, etc. That seems to be a real oversight. It's nice that the three input lines are available, but why can't we view them on the handheld?

I know the input lines can be viewed on a datalog and that you can display them properly on a 7" Digital Dash, but a lot of Sniper owners only have the handheld and they'd like to monitor the oil pressure and the fuel pressure.

Would like to see a configurable timed relay output after engine running option for general purpose use. I don't have A/C, so I feel like the high idle could be remapped optionally. Reason is I'll be installing an electric/hydraulic P/S pump to provide power steering. Electrical load is high on that (requires a 50 amp relay) and would prefer it doesn't startup until after engine is running. To date I've been thinking about a manual switch, but kind of hate the idea. Similar to fan relay request above but general purpose.

Tetsulo, Would the above request to change Sensor Safety Setup to trigger a spare Output provide your required functionality?
    E.G. If the Sensor Safety action drop down list provided a existing 3 actions and include all spare unused outputs.
    How I see this setup to work with your use case:
    From Holley Sniper software, navigate to Sensors.
    Select RPM. Scroll down to Safety Setup.
    Select - If RPM is Above 500 RPM For 5 Seconds (OUTPUT 3).
    In your example I would not define a hysteresis (the Deactivate if below a given RPM value). Should the engine stall while the vehicle was in motion, you would may want/require the electric power steering to help maneuver the vehicle safely to a stop. Cycling the ignition off (once safely stopped) would be needed to deactivate the relay.
    I tried to minimize the number of requested changes by rolling them up into functional areas that would met a large number of foreseeable requirements for most users.
    1970 XW Fairmont (presented as a GT Falcon Replica), 351 Cleveland with Aussie 302 2V closed chamber heads. Edelbrock F351 2V dual plane intake manifold. Camtech CT21544 (234/238@050", 570/579lift, 2600-6200rpm quoted range, 110lobes) 1.73:1 roller rockers. AOD Transmission. Ford 9" 3.5 Diff ratio. Pacemaker #PH4050 2v Tri-Y extractors to 2.5" Hi Flow V-Tex merge pipe with dual 2.5" exhaust through Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers. Holley Sniper EFI 4150 Super Sniper 650 with HyperSpark Ignition.

Is there an option for a rev limiter? Right now only one type selectable, especially since the 4500 is marketed toward racers, a softer rev limiter would be a very nice option. V5 has quite a few options. Looking at the RPM trace on the Racepak, it's a very harsh limiter. Also felt it in the seat as well. When on the MSD limiter (7531) was nowhere near as harsh or jagged on the graph. All in all very satisfied with the Sniper 4500 so far, just some minor refinements and it can be a real superstar!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by XW_Falcon_351C View Post
    Tetsulo, Would the above request to change Sensor Safety Setup to trigger a spare Output provide your required functionality?
    E.G. If the Sensor Safety action drop down list provided a existing 3 actions and include all spare unused outputs.
    How I see this setup to work with your use case:
    From Holley Sniper software, navigate to Sensors.
    Select RPM. Scroll down to Safety Setup.
    Select - If RPM is Above 500 RPM For 5 Seconds (OUTPUT 3).
    In your example I would not define a hysteresis (the Deactivate if below a given RPM value). Should the engine stall while the vehicle was in motion, you would may want/require the electric power steering to help maneuver the vehicle safely to a stop. Cycling the ignition off (once safely stopped) would be needed to deactivate the relay.
    I tried to minimize the number of requested changes by rolling them up into functional areas that would met a large number of foreseeable requirements for most users.
    Hi there, I do think that would work, not sure how low you could log RPM but say 300 RPM (I've got my idle set for 500 and usually it sits around 550). And yes, make it an activated relay in one direction (off to running), but leave triggered even if RPM back to 0 for the safety reason you outline. What spare outputs are there? I'm using the two fan relays already although I have them in lock step, if temp gets above 195°F enable fans. I could rework the fan relays to be triggered on one output and free one up.

Quote Originally Posted by GP's 82 Monte View Post
    Is there an option for a rev limiter? Right now only one type selectable, especially since the 4500 is marketed toward racers, a softer rev limiter would be a very nice option. V5 has quite a few options. Looking at the RPM trace on the Racepak, it's a very harsh limiter. Also felt it in the seat as well. When on the MSD limiter (7531) was nowhere near as harsh or jagged on the graph. All in all very satisfied with the Sniper 4500 so far, just some minor refinements and it can be a real superstar!
    Have you looked into the Advanced Tables?
    From Holley Sniper EFI, Select Toolbox from the top menu.
    Enable Advanced. Then select Advanced ICF icon.
    Then a 1D Table set for Timing Offset, X Axis RPM.
    Configure so it starts retarding the ignition timing prior to your main Rev Limit.
    You could also setup a second 1D table to remove fuel if needed. Maybe the Fuel Flow Offset table would be suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsulo View Post
    Hi there, I do think that would work, not sure how low you could log RPM but say 300 RPM (I've got my idle set for 500 and usually it sits around 550). And yes, make it an activated relay in one direction (off to running), but leave triggered even if RPM back to 0 for the safety reason you outline. What spare outputs are there? I'm using the two fan relays already although I have them in lock step, if temp gets above 195°F enable fans. I could rework the fan relays to be triggered on one output and free one up.
    Sensor Safety allows increments of 1 RPM and allows a value of 300 RPM to be set. The proving duration can be set in 0.01 of a second increments between 0 & 99 seconds. If a spare output relay could be triggered, this would be used to enable your electric Power Steering pump to meet your 'configurable timed relay output after engine running option for general purpose use' requirement.
    Standard Sniper has 3x Outputs. Super Snipers have 6x Outputs.
    Note we don't have the option to select Outputs as the triggered action.
    This forum thread was setup to identifying areas of improvement and politely request the software team to investigate if any could be implemented with future firmware and software releases.

Quote Originally Posted by XW_Falcon_351C View Post
    Have you looked into the Advanced Tables?
    From Holley Sniper EFI, Select Toolbox from the top menu.
    Enable Advanced. Then select Advanced ICF icon.
    Then a 1D Table set for Timing Offset, X Axis RPM.
    Configure so it starts retarding the ignition timing prior to your main Rev Limit.
    You could also setup a second 1D table to remove fuel if needed. Maybe the Fuel Flow Offset table would be suitable.
    Was looking at that last night, wondering how to configure it. Will look closer using your guidance. Are there any 'ish' numbers to pull from timing tables to smooth it out, or trial & error? Thank you.