Thread: Terminator X Spark Issue

Default Terminator X Spark Issue

Just installed the Terminator X system on my '98 Camaro and I’m having an issue getting it run right. Very hard to start when hot, cold start is hit or miss if it’ll start good or not. When I give it quick throttle it sounds like it’s just taking too much air in and bogs down before the idle will raise. It also backfire through the throttle body on a start attempt. It acts to me like it’s not getting spark somewhere. Looking at the datalog the AFR drops down to 10.9:1 when it does this. The car was running fine before I swapped the ECU. Any ideas on what I’ve done wrong or what the problem could be?

Have you done any tuning?

No, I’ve only been letting the Learning work as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2013 View Post
    Very hard to start when hot, cold start is hit or miss if it’ll start good or not.
    If you take the time to study this, you'll be a startup tuning expert:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)
    Pay special attention to the "TIP" in post #6 of that same thread:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)

It also backfire through the throttle body on a start attempt. It acts to me like it’s not getting spark somewhere.
    I'm assuming the ignition timing is synchronized with the ECU (timing light), since it's an LSx application.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

So I took a temp gun to the manifolds and I’ve got one cylinder running way hotter than the rest.

I suggest you start pulling plugs, checking plug wires, making sure all the wiring instructions were followed, exactly. Make sure you don't have vacuum leaks. Make sure there's not an exhaust leak upstream of the wideband. Time to backup and check for basics.

Changed plugs and wires with no change. Can’t find any leaks, and wiring is all done as said in instructions. I fired the car up with the injector to the #2 cylinder unplugged earlier, and the AFR rose back up to 13.5:1 and the idle quality improved without the high manifold temp. Possibly a stuck injector?

It's certainly possible. I'd give that injector a few taps on the side. See if that makes it better. What's the history of the engine? Andrew

First confirm that injector isn't working.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Clamping a timing light on each cylinder, works well for misfire detection (watch for consistent flashing).
    Test drive it with a timing light taped to the windshield if you have to.

Also, ensure all the fuel injectors are operating. You can use an injector noid light (LINK), an injector probe (LINK), or even
    a long screwdriver used as a stethoscope (placed between an injector and your ear, listening to each working injector).
    Other less definitive methods for MPFI applications, include infrared temp gun readings on header primary pipes,
    or a wet rag on header primary pipes. However you do it doesn't matter, just confirm combustion on all cylinders.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    It's certainly possible. I'd give that injector a few taps on the side. See if that makes it better. What's the history of the engine? Andrew
    I’m not 100% sure on the history, I just bought the car recently. I wouldn’t say the car was running perfect when I bought it, but was definitely driveable. I have a forged 6.0L I’ll be swapping in the car in the next bit to go turbo. I was just trying to get the Holley all setup before the swap.