Thread: Added G-Surge, now car won't idle.

Default Added G-Surge, now car won't idle.

Good day. I have a Sniper EFI on a ZZ502 in a '67 Chevelle. This includes the in-line filter not the in-tank filter. My car was running great, but I live on a hill. So, every time my neighbor would stop in front of me to turn into his drive, and I was below a half a tank of gas, I would stall. ('67 Chevelle stock tank). I did a lot of research and talked to many, and it was recommended the single pump G-Surge. Installed it as described and that seems to be working as normal. HOWEVER, the car now idles extremely bad and sometimes dies. I even bypassed the G-Surge to make sure it wasn't the new pump and it still won't run right. The only thing I did was add a G-Surge and Summit pump relay kit.

All I can figure out is that when I disconnected the battery, I lost the saved program. (I was told it was a beast to get to program the first time). However, I wouldn't think that would be a option with all computers able to keep saved data without power. That would be a significant design flaw.

Troubleshooting says to wait till 160°F before doing the erratic idle condition checklist. My concern is that is the same temp it starts to relearn. It was running great; I'm afraid to relearn this bad setup. When I disconnected the battery, do I have to go through the whole relearn process again? If yes, I will start it, but I don't want to make the situation worse.

All the gauges are in the green (except voltage as it jumps around with engine). BTW, I did not install this system. It was installed as a gift. So, I am trying to figure out how to mess with the EFI with the Instructions that are challenging. (should had stuck with the carb). I did a search and I didn't see anyone else with this issue.

Should I let the car idle to relearn or should I do something else. Will I lose all programming when it ran good. (I have already spent about $300 troubleshooting what I did including changes wires twice and spark plug once because I thought I flooded it with two fuel pumps). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was going to take this car on the power tour. Not looking much like an option now unless I go back to carb. Thanks, Frog

Hard to say what the problem is without seeing a video or looking at a datalog and a Config File. Could be most anything. Could have something to do with the recent changes you made or it could just be bad luck. Might not even be a problem with the Sniper. Sometimes people work on their engine and forget to replace vacuum hoses or put the spark plug wires in the wrong order and then they blame the Sniper. I'd start with the basics and go from there. Confirm firing order, ignition timing, visual check of the engine, look down the throttle bores to confirm all injectors are working, confirm proper fuel pressure, check fuel filter, etc.

Always save a known to be good Config File, so it you mess it up you can reload it in.

Absolutely, I've been saving my last "known to be good" Global File since 2010. I save a copy of it in an email (with notes) and on my 3.5" TSLCD SD card.
    You can also keep a copy of it on your computer's Desktop screen. Others keep a copy of it on a USB flash drive or on the 3.5" touchscreen's SD card.
    The Digital Dash & 3.5" TSLCD can retrieve your Global File from the ECU.
    https://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley EFI 553-106 Digital Dash Instruction Manual - "Global Config", Page 33 & 34)
    https://documents.holley.com/199r10751rev1.pdf (Holley EFI 553-108 3.5" TSLCD Instruction Manual - "ECU Globals", Page 31)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8883#post98883 (Holley Sniper EFI Save Config File On SD Card, LINK - Page 73)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for info. There are a couple things that you all have mentioned that I will try tonight.

I have looked at: Firing order, new wires, plugs, vacuum lines, fuel lines and filters, etc. I have not been able to check fuel pressure yet. I had to order one since the only one available from around here is $127. As stated, I already spent $300 trouble shooting a $250 part. So, I was looking for something cheaper. So, I must wait.

Timing hasn't been checked either since I have a serpentine belt system that makes it all but impossible to see timing without a total tear down. However, I have tried to move the HEI and it will not budge. So, it hasn't moved.

I did save a file after initial setup, but I haven't figured out how to load it. The instructions aren't the best. The help checklist tells you to go to locations in the computer that aren't easy to find. (Still haven't found most of the items they want checked). Tonight, I will see how to load the old one and also look at the injectors. There is quite the gas smell; so I know they are getting fuel. I'm just not sure if they all are.

If none of that works, I will wait for fuel pressure gauge and see where we are. I have to give HyperFuel (FiTech) credit, their has been all over giving me suggestions to check before saying it is the Sniper. It all doesn't make sense to him either. I'll keep you all informed if I figure it out. (Or go carb)

I added some more info to post #4 above.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

After hours and hours of troubleshooting, it was an electrical surging 30 amp Fuse in the new fuel pump relay. I have never had a fuse surge before, so that wasn't in my checklist. I've had good or burnt. Never surge! Plus, it was new. It will be in my checklist from now on, and I probably will never need it again. $400 troubleshooting a $20 part. GGGRRRRR!!! Hopefully my stupidity can help someone else later. Thanks for everyone's help.
    BTW, I posted this response in a wrong thread earlier. I have too many threads open trying to fix things.

Thanks for the update.

What exactly is a fuse surge?

I think he means when the fuse heats up & partially melts, but doesn't actually blow.