Thread: MAP Sensors

Default MAP Sensors

Hey! Going to be firing up my boosted SBF here shortly and need some info on MAP sensors. I'm running the MSD 6AL-2 Programmable, and will be using that to control timing for at least a month or two. So that means I need to use MSD P/N 23131 as recommended by the manual. However, will this play nice with my 1250 Sniper unit when the time comes to move it all over? I may not even need an external MAP for the Sniper, but in case I do, I'd rather not have to buy yet another one. Holley P/N 554-107 is what Holley states as their 3 bar MAP for the Sniper. I feel these are both the exact same unit probably from GM. If I could just use a GM sensor that makes things even easier. I hate to make assumptions on this stuff, so rather ask a stupid question and gain some knowledge along the way. Thanks!

The Super Sniper has an internal MAP sensor so you will not need it anymore once you convert to the Sniper controlled timing. Were you running the MSD and MAP prior to getting the Sniper? I used to run that same box when I was carb.

Right, the Sniper has the built in 2.5. However, to make my goal I may need to go above that. I doubt I will, but just for future use, I'd like to know if these two are the same unit from most likely from GM just with different stickers applied, LOL.

Prior to the Sniper and last year with the Sniper, I just ran a locked out distributor and my 6AL-2 Programmable box. Did not have a need for the external MAP sensor with that combo. That combo was a stroker Windsor N/A 600 HP deal. Now it's a new boosted engine combination.

I'm pretty sure the MAP sensor in the Sniper is not something you can change. It is internally built in and does not use a hose attachment like the MSD sensor or the Holley unit pictured.

The Super Sniper series allow the use of an external MAP sensor through one of the 3 available analog inputs. Either way, at this point I’m pretty confident that it’s the same damn sensor just with a different sticker on it. LOL, just like the MAC boost control solenoid with the Holley sticker on it.