Thread: Terminator X Max - speed sensor compatibility.

Default Terminator X Max - speed sensor compatibility.

I'm in the process of installing a Terminator X Max kit, with a Holley 7" Digital Dash. The Terminator X Max kit I'm using is Drive-By-Wire, without a transmission harness. My car has a T56 Magnum transmission with a 2-wire VSS. Ideally, I'd like to run a speed signal into the ECU, so I can easily configure the Digital Dash to see it, and also so that I can possibly use it as an input for Boost vs Speed in the future. What's the most straightforward way to achieve this? If I buy a blank J4 connector kit from Holley and connect it to the ground and VSS+ sensor pins (https://images.holley.com/558-4051957.jpg - looks like pins B14 & B18), will that work? What if I ground one of the two wires and connect the other to one of the four general-purpose inputs on the engine harness?
    Last edited by lemming; 05-20-2019 at 09:38 AM.

So, to answer my own question, in case this information can benefit anyone else in the future: It is possible to get vehicle speed data by using the general purpose inputs on the X & X Max. One of the options is for a "Frequency" input. However, it only recognizes the nice, regular (presumably square?) waveform produced by a powered Hall-Effect type sensor, not the variable voltage sine wave emitted by a variable reluctance sensor. If a transmission cannot be easily retrofitted with a Hall-Effect type sensor, then another option is to use a converter. SIRHC Labs sells a tiny little board for about $15, which is capable of doing this. You solder wires for the two variable reluctance signals into one side, solder 5V sensor reference, ground, and sensor output into the other side, and you're good to go.

So in short, like what seems to be the case with other entry level Holley ECUs of the past, there is a way to rig up a VSS, but the signal needs to resemble a Hall-Effect sensor output.

Quote Originally Posted by lemming View Post
    However, it only recognizes the nice, regular (presumably square?) waveform produced by a powered Hall-Effect type sensor, not the variable voltage sine wave emitted by a variable reluctance sensor.
    Correct, the Hall-Effect sensor transmits a square wave signal pattern.

Hall-Effect: 3-wire, square wave signal (digital), pulse generation
    VR Magnetic: 2-wire, sine wave signal (inductive), voltage generation
    http://www.electronicproducts.com/El...g_for_you.aspx (Hall-Effect vs VR Magnetic)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

You could have gotten a J4 connector and wired up the T56 speed sensor as if it was a 4L80E sensor. I believe to pins 14 & 18, but don't quote me on that. Andrew

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....0291#post30291 (Speedometer Output Info - Dominator ECU/Transmission ICF)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.