Thread: PSI/TPS to turn on secondary fuel pump.

Default PSI/TPS to turn on secondary fuel pump.

So I got my I/O Harness today and got it installed and run into the cab. This brought up a few questions about my base fuel rail pressure if I kick on a second pump. So if I use the either the TPS or PSI to turn on the secondary fuel pump, this will increase my base fuel pressure and with that said, I'm running a Aeromotive X1 Series Fuel Pressure Regulator that is a 1:1 ratio off of boost. Will this mess with my injectors or tune at all?

I just really dialed in the tune on E85 with both pumps on at all times (Dual 400 LPH AEM pumps), just curious how kicking on a second pump will effect things and if there is anything I should keep any eye out for. My regulator and -10 return line is big enough to run fine with both pumps on at all times, so if i should just leave it alone that's fine. Just curious if anyone has used this before. Thanks, Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_c10 View Post
    Will this mess with my injectors or tune at all?
    Not if the fuel pressure is the same.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Two pumps of that size, -10 up & back, that's a serious system. Fuel pressure is set by the regulator, doesn't matter on pump capacity, since your lines are the same size. Run one pump, then run the 2nd pump on demand. Why don't you run a pump controller in PWM mode? Gary
    Regards, Gary

With a good regulator you won’t even see it kick on. I run two big pumps staged with a -10 feed and I don’t even see a twitch when the second comes on. I run a Fore Innovations F2i regulator.

That's why I say, if the fuel pressure is consistent, the tune will be also.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    That's why I say, if the fuel pressure is consistent, the tune will be also.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 window View Post
    Absolutely.
    Just got back from checking the fuel pressure after the second pump kicks on. At idle it raises 1 psi, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
    Two pumps of that size, -10 up & back, that's a serious system. Fuel pressure is set by the regulator, doesn't matter on pump capacity, since your lines are the same size. Run one pump, then run the 2nd pump on demand. Why don't you run a pump controller in PWM mode? Gary
    When I had the MegaSquirt system, I had 210 lb/hr injectors (that ran like crap). So I built the system overkill, better to do it once right? I figure with that, system I should be good for awhile.

Why worry about 1 psi more at idle, that's not the point of bringing on a second pump. You have the start of a very good reliable system. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Exactly. It’s about volume.