Thread: So where is the MAT sensor?

Default So where is the MAT sensor?

So 10.3.5 in the instruction book says it required to hook up the M.A.T sensor wire to the MAT located in the intake manifold. So where is that thing? I have a GM Crate LS3 engine, I don't see a MAT sensor, and even if I did, that pigtail is located in the same loom as the cam sensor which is in the front of the engine. So I separate the wiring harness and break the cam sensor wires out? They aren't really long enough to reach down to the cam sensor anyway?

The MAT/IAT sensor is installed in the intake manifold (plenum or runner) or in the air intake tube.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I did some research last night and I found out that the intake I have doesn't have a MAT. I found some images of guys who drilled & tapped there intakes to locate a MAT right behind the throttle body, so I guess that's what I'm going to do. I pulled the front accessory off and was able to snake the cam sensor wire down the front of the engine, so the MAT wire would reach the TB if I located a MAT there. Off to the parts store I go. Here's the image I found where a Corvette owner installed a MAT:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAT.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	8206

Where is the MAT/IAT sensor located on an OEM GM LS3 engine? If your engine has a MAF delete cover (LINK), maybe you can install it there (drill & tap).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I had a GM connect and cruise that never worked (long story for another day). From what I understand, the GM system uses a MAF with a IAT built into it that installs in the intake tube. With all the problems I had with the GM system, seeing that Holley says this is a MAT and not an IAT, I really want to put it in the correct location.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer 2.0 View Post
    I had a GM connect and cruise that never worked (long story for another day). From what I understand, the GM system uses a MAF with a IAT built into it that installs in the intake tube.
    I understand now: https://www.eficonnection.com/home/p...delete-harness (EFI Connection)

With all the problems I had with the GM system, seeing that Holley says this is a MAT and not an IAT, I really want to put it in the correct location.
    The MAT & IAT sensor perform the same task in terms of aftermarket EFI systems. It's programmed in the Holley EFI software (MAT/IAT Sensor in Sensors ICF, and Air Temperature Enrichment % table in Fuel ICF).

Well, I installed it in the intake. I finished up the other wiring today and believe it or not it started. I let it run for awhile with no major issues. It dies on startup unless you feather the gas, but it will settle into an idle. The instruction manual says if it does this go to section 31.6, but the manual only has 26.0 sections. Reread the manual thinking they just had the numbers wrong, but didn't see anything in there about adjusting startup idle. Got a couple of other things to figure out also. The Dakota VHX speedometer hookup, and the tach is real erratic and reads twice the RPM it's turning. Otherwise it idles way better than that connect & cruise crap I had. I hope all the on the road issues are fully gone also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer 2.0 View Post
    It dies on startup unless you feather the gas, but it will settle into an idle.
    Read Step #3: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)

So does that apply to a DBW system? I thought you couldn't adjust the Drive-By-Wire throttle body.

Correct, I didn't know you had a Drive-By-Wire throttle body.