Thread: Terminator Stealth EFI/Pontiac 400 ECU controlled timing options?

Default Terminator Stealth EFI/Pontiac 400 ECU controlled timing options?

I have recently gotten my car started up & running using Holley Terminator Stealth EFI setup is a '70 Pontiac 400 approximately 10.5 Comp flat tappet 225° @ 0.50 duration cam, headers, Torker 2 intake. I'm using an HEI distributor with MSD Digital 6AL box timing is set at 14° at idle vacuum advance is on the ported port. I'm having a few issues the main issue is going from park to drive the car just shuts off I'm going to try and smooth out the idle AFR a little bit and see if I can get it better. Also sometimes the car will start and shut off or start and hunt around, then shut off. I have the hot idle is set around 900 and the IAC kind of moves around from 3-10%. I believe it's trying to compensate for idle dip as the timing moves around a degree or 2 and fluctuates the RPM a little bit. I would really like to go with ECU controlled timing at this point. I think it will help the car run better. I know they the sell Holley dual sync distributors, but all the Pontiac ones they sell have a steel distributor gear. I need iron, can I just get a dual sync and switch the gear from my HEI? I have a few different things I'm going to try, but I'm starting to think without the timing control it's going to be an issue in & out of gear. FWIW, I have the same system on my '70 Mach 1 manual transmission and ECU controlled timing through the TFI distributor. From the start that car has started up and had a good idle with no tuning other than self Learning in Closed Loop.
    Last edited by 70MACHONE; 05-12-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 70MACHONE View Post
    I know they the sell Holley dual sync distributors, but all the Pontiac ones they sell have a steel distributor gear. I need iron, can I just get a dual sync and switch the gear from my HEI?
    You can if they're the same distributor shaft diameter.
    (Please don't type your posts like you're texting. It takes me a long time to edit it. At least use Spell Check before posting.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

It seems like the Pontiac HEI distributor gear is .490" and the the Holley dual sync is .500", so I'm assuming that won't work. What would you recommend?

Find a Pontiac iron distributor gear, or use a bronze gear.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I don't really want to use a bronze gear due to hearing they wear quickly. It's difficult to find a Pontiac .500" cast iron gear. The only thing I've found is MSD 8531 may work.

Well if Chevy & Pontiac use the same distributor gear, then there's your answer. I'm not a Pontiac guy, so you'll need to investigate this.