Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting in gear when cold.

Default Putting in gear when cold.

I'd like some help in solving problem with putting car in gear when cold. See attached files. Generally, the engine won't go into gear without a stumble until above 120°F temp. Datalog shows trying at 100°F & 110°F with stumbles, taking out of gear and then putting in at 120°F with reasonable results. New with software and trying to learn basic tuning. Engine was tuned at shop, but I can't continue to take back every day for cold start adjustments.
    Smith Files.zip

Without looking at your Config File or datalog, I'm guessing the Coolant Temperature Enrichment % table is too rich at that temperature.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6649#post66649 (Coolant Temperature Enrichment % Table Tuning)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Your Target AFR at 100°F is 14, I would try richer. And look at your fuel table in graph form, you have a big hole in the idle area that's probably causing your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Without looking at your Config File or datalog, I'm guessing the Coolant Temperature Enrichment % table is too rich at that temperature.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6649#post66649 (Coolant Temperature Enrichment % Table Tuning)
    Danny, thanks for the link. I learned how to Overlay.

To adjust the Coolant Temp Enrichment, as example my Coolant Temp Enrichment at 100°F temp was 110% and CL was 8%, does that mean it should be set closer to 118%?

How do you see the Target A/F Ratio at Temps? And do you just smooth the hole area?

Quote Originally Posted by smithgolfdan View Post
    Danny, thanks for the link. I learned how to Overlay.
    You're welcome.

To adjust the Coolant Temp Enrichment, as example my Coolant Temp Enrichment at 100°F temp was 110% and CL was 8%, does that mean it should be set closer to 118%?
    Please read that LINK, it explains this in detail.

How do you see the Target A/F Ratio at Temps?
    That's called the Target A/F Ratio Offset table.
    See page 13 & 14: http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11259.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Help Manual - EFI Software, Tuning & Datalogging)

And do you just smooth the hole area?
    Read 4th & 5th paragraphs: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2523#post62523 (Holley EFI Tuning Tips & Information)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK I got it now. Looks like my Coolant Enrichment need to be increased, but only small amount (2-4%). That correlates with 81 Trans Am comments above. Which one would you start making small changes to?

You need to change the Coolant Enrichment AFR Offset, that will make it richer. It does not matter what your Coolant Enrichment is because the CL will always try to reach your Target AFR. Once you know what it likes as it warms up, then you can adjust the Coolant Enrichment, so the CL does not have to work so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    You need to change the Coolant Enrichment AFR Offset, that will make it richer.
    Just to be clear, he's referring to the Target A/F Ratio Offset table in the Temperature Enrichment tab (Fuel ICF).

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    You need to change the Coolant Enrichment AFR Offset, that will make it richer. It does not matter what your Coolant Enrichment is because the CL will always try to reach your Target AFR. Once you know what it likes as it warms up, then you can adjust the Coolant Enrichment, so the CL does not have to work so hard.
    That's true as long as Closed Loop is enabled. Sometimes Closed Loop is turned off at idle, which then has a ripple effect on the tune. In this case, the OP should have CL enabled, so he should be able to change the tune by changing the offset, but it's something to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    That is true as long as Closed Loop is enabled.
    Yes, it was enabled in his datalog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast