Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Danny!

Default Thanks Danny!

Just wanted to thank Danny for an old post where he discussed startup settings. I've long had an issue where if I enabled the "Fuel Prime" it would usually flood the engine at hot restart, so I left prime off. With it off I had long cranks before it would fire. Seeing Danny's settings made me realize the default startup fuel was way too rich when hot. I lowered hot start from 16 lbs/hr to 9 and also bumped the IAC Parked a bit to give it more air. Finally I enabled Fuel Prime at 200%. Engine now starts fast hot or cold. I'm running sequential port, but even so, it fires up after 1-2 seconds every time.

So thanks to Danny for making me do large changes to the table. I (wrongly) thought the table would be close by default and never dared do any substantial changes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cranking fuel.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	8146

You're welcome. You're probably referring to the startup advice thread below (especially the "TIP" in post #6). I've received a countless amount of emails about how much that startup advice thread helped them completely tune their Startup Enrichment Parameters.

If you take the time to study this, you'll be a startup tuning expert:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)
    Pay special attention to the "TIP" in post #6 of that same thread:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

It was this thread (post #9) that got me on the right track. I noticed how much lower your hot start values were compared to mine and when I tried them - bingo.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7913#post77913

Yep, that's the very first link in that good startup advice thread. I'm glad it helped you. I'm also glad you mentioned this, because those startup values are for my previous 508" big block Ford engine ('78 Bronco). I revised that post to include my proven startup values for a small block Ford engine ('92 Mustang GT). So thanks, and you're welcome.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Ah, interesting. So roughly 30% less for the 302. I'll keep an eye on mine and see if it wants a little less, as it's a 454 vs your old 508. Still wondering what in the world made Holley use 16 lbs/hr for default.

Quote Originally Posted by zwede View Post
    Ah, interesting. So roughly 30% less for the 302.
    Yeah, I plan on updating that thread to include my Dart 364/Trick Flow 11R heads engine build.

I'll keep an eye on mine and see if it wants a little less, as it's a 454 vs your old 508.
    Yeah, maybe one lb/hr less. Also, my Coolant Temperature (°F) axis is different than yours.

Still wondering what in the world made Holley use 16 lbs/hr for default.
    Those original base calibrations had some "theoretical" values.

Went over the cranking considering your temp scale and did some small adjustments, so it's about 10% less than your 508". I think that will be very close to what I need. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by zwede View Post
    Went over the cranking considering your temp scale and did some small adjustments...
    Yeah, I don't like the Coolant Temperature (°F) axis in the base calibrations. The scale spans from -40°F to 260°F, so there's a lot of lost resolution in there. Also, I'm being picky here, but since I run a 180° thermostat, I like that temperature range to fall in between two cells so normal operating temperature remains unchanged (in terms of ECU tasks).

Thanks again.
    You're welcome. I'm glad I could help because 15 years ago, you, Dennis Moore & Doug Flynn were especially helpful to me when I was first learning aftermarket programmable EFI. The old Commander 950 Pro required the end user to manually tune everything (no self-tuning or Learn Table). And the base calibrations were horrible! By the time you finished fully tuning an engine, the engine file didn't resemble the base calibration at all. Those were the difficult times when people really had to know what they were doing.

I have to add to this. Danny is a great resource. I've also dealt with Doug Flynn and he is great at this too. The advice from both is fantastic.

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. It means a lot coming from you Allan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast