Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Version 5 Build 110 Glitches

I updated from Version 4 build 30 to Version 5 build 110 and had all kinds of USB connection issues. Ended up going back to V4 build 30 and haven't had any more ECU-to-laptop connection issues. Not sure what the deal was with it?
    '93 Mustang LX Sedan, Holley Dominator EFI, Twin 66 mm, 347, TH 400, 3.27s - 8.54 @ 162 through the tailpipes on DRs
    '91 Mustang LX Sedan, Holley HP EFI, 410 with Novi 2000, 5 speed, 3.73s - tire destroyer!
    Coming this Fall, 2019 Mustang GT, A10 Auto, 3.0L Whipple - 9 second cruiser?

What I can say so far from my experience, is it seems to be one of once it gets in the mode it doesn't communicate well, but once I get it working, then it seems to work great. I did a very long datalog today as an example and several changes. Once I took a break and came back (I had disconnect the computer to recharge it) and plugged it back in, I then had all sorts of comm issues until I rebooted the computer and plugged in the USB cable prior to starting V5 back up. Then everything was fine again for the rest of the day.

Good to know. If I do decide to update my system to V5 again down the road, I'll follow the procedure you used and see what happens. Hopefully, this will eliminate the Communications issue.
    '93 Mustang LX Sedan, Holley Dominator EFI, Twin 66 mm, 347, TH 400, 3.27s - 8.54 @ 162 through the tailpipes on DRs
    '91 Mustang LX Sedan, Holley HP EFI, 410 with Novi 2000, 5 speed, 3.73s - tire destroyer!
    Coming this Fall, 2019 Mustang GT, A10 Auto, 3.0L Whipple - 9 second cruiser?

Last couple of times to the track, I had issues, but I found a way to deal with it and always works. First off, I tune between 5-7 cars at the track at the same time. I use to be able to go from one car to the next without any problems. With the new update it wasn't that simple. But if I closed the V5 EFI software and opened it again with the USB already plugged in, I had no issue. Just have to remember to plug in the USB before starting up the V5 EFI software. Having the ignition on didn't matter.

I recently started having a problem with losing connection when the engine is started. Sometimes I can see the dash on my laptop working after startup, then it will freeze up with no way to get it going again unless I shut the engine off. Switching USB ports worked one time, unplugging and plugging USB back in occasionally works in combination with restarting the software. I can look at internal datalogs after a drive, but no dash or laptop datalogging. One interesting aspect of this, it worked fine all summer until I recently figured out how to turn on internal datalogging. Hmm....

EDIT: I guess I'll just add onto this post.

I did several tests today, with unfortunately no satisfaction. The laptop (old convertible 8.9" Fujitsu running Vista) seems unable to keep a connection when the engine is running. I turned off internal datalogging - no difference. Held laptop in my hand in case HD didn't like vibration - no difference. Took dash apart and ran USB cable to laptop sitting on seat (normally cable runs out of a hole in the laptop mount where the clock used to be.) Connected fine and then lost connection after engine was started. No effect changing USB ports, restarting software or repairing SiLabs program.

I feel like it's a noise issue, but I can't wrap my head around it since I have been using this setup as is to log while driving all summer. I did grab my normal laptop and brought it to the car and it worked fine after starting the engine :/ Note that I built a custom aluminum bracket to hold the USB cable in place there's zero play- it's very sturdy (it's an HP, not Dominator, in case there's any possibility that makes a difference.) I'm thinking of grabbing a cheapo windows tablet even though I like this old machine and it does have a nice keyboard that can be used by rotating the car-mount bracket. The machine is stripped down with minimal unneeded drivers etc. so it can startup fairly quickly - it's a shame that it suddenly is having this issue. Note the wiring/grounding in the car is done in an extremely perfectionist way. The only other thing I can think of is that the unit itself is interacting with something in the kick-panel area that it wasn't previously. Thinking of trying another USB cable that's shorter tho that will defeat the usefulness of the bracket I built for the Holley cable. Ideas?
    Last edited by Cougar5.0; 09-22-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Angry

I figured it out. It's that crappy mini-USB connector on the back of the Holley. Even with the plastic nut holding it tight, and a tight-fitting aluminum bracket bolted to the Holley mounting holes that supports and prevents the tall black hat from being bent, there's just enough weakness in that awful mini-connector that when I finally mounted the unit up in the place where the OEM ECU fit, the relatively easy turn of the USB cable upward into the under-dash area, which is in the lower front facing out, not touching anything is still just enough of a bend (and likely just coincidentally the worst possible angle) to cause an issue with the shield ground for the cable. I removed the HP, took the bracket off and then unscrewed the nut holding the USB connector to the HP (I'm emphasizing these steps to show how that same awful mini USB connector that ruined all your phones back in the old days is STILL ruining electronics in the 21st century.) I assume it's the shielding since as I look in the anvil-shaped shield/ground, it's slightly tilted and slightly distorted. Ugh. I am assuming it's the effectiveness of the cable shielding since everything was fine until I started the engine, then it stopped working. Same reason explains the newer PC not having an issue as this is the nature of "noise". Once I pulled the unit from the pocket it was in, everything was fine, but as I moved the unit around, I noticed that a certain angle of the cable would cause datalogging to freeze (engine running.) I don't know if the issue is in the cable itself or the connection that provides the shield.

If it sounds like I'm a little annoyed, it's because I AM! I read of all the issues with the connector, saw a bracket for sale that supports the USB cable termination hat, fabricated it, then when I got everything pretty well sorted out, and tired of driving with the module sitting on the passenger rug, I CAREFULLY tucked it up in there making sure that the USB cable was NOT TOUCHED and was facing outward in free-space so it would be safe. Nope. Not good enough. Damnit, am I livid. REDESIGN IT!

Can you use the Can to USB adapter? I'm not sure of the part number.

I can though I'm not sure which CAN connector I have and it's difficult to get at being it's near where the harness passes through the firewall, only accessible by reaching my arm up there.

I just saw on Facebook that there's a Version 5 Build 130 that was just released that's supposed to help fix the USB connection issues discussed here. It also improves on "Points Output Fixed Duty Cycle (MSD)" which is a setting I use for my setup. So, this release is good timing for me. It's possible that my observations about moving the Holley ECU around and losing USB logging was a combination of cable movement altering ground/shield connection and noise signature changes. I'll be updating the HP soon and eventually tuck the unit back where it belongs. Either way I'll post back afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    Can you use the Can to USB adapter? I'm not sure of the part number.
    See post #20 for details.

FYI: The latest V5 Build 130 Holley EFI software/ECU firmware update doesn't involve the touchscreen units.
    https://documents.holley.com/techlib...130updates.zip (Specific updates for version V5 Build 130)
    The 12.3" Pro Dash V5 current firmware is still 5.0 Build 12.
    The 7" Digital Dash V5 current firmware is still 5.0 Build 7.
    The 3.5" TSLCD V5 current firmware is still 05000050.fwu.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    See post #20 for details.
    From memory, and looking at the Holley website, I see that I have the 2-pin connector on my harness, so I'd also need the PART# 558-430 adapter cable (in addition to 558-443) if I wanted to use the CAN Bus to communicate with my HP?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast