Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

Default Frustrated

Good evening. Today I tried to fire up a Holley HP system that hasn't been ran in about three years. Engine won't start. I can't sync to the ECU. I tried to sync with new firmware. Finally I found my old CD and uninstalled the new V5 firmware and once again tried. Failed again. Sometimes it says an error has occurred with the ECU. Sometimes it says it's timed out. Most of the time it says it's timed out. I'm super frustrated and can't seem to get any answered with Google searches. The laptop I'm on is NOT the original one. I've tried firing that laptop up and it's DEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 2 NV View Post
    Engine won't start. I can't sync to the ECU.
    I don't understand. An engine can run without a laptop connected to the ECU. The engine doesn't start because there isn't a Global File in the ECU? Or because the Global File needs to be configured to your application?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2193#post72193 (EFI Software/ECU Firmware Problems)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I know the engine can run without a laptop. I'm trying to see if there's anything loaded on the ECU at this point. It's been sitting for three years. What's happening is the fuel pumps are priming for 5 seconds or so. I start cranking and if there is some fuel pressure left, it might try to fire. But it hasn't fired yet. I'm guessing there's no fuel being circulated during the cranking phase. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge at this point. I was able to fire the old laptop up. So the first thing I did was try to sync the ECU. It just sat there forever saying syncing. Then the laptop battery died. I'll have to make sure I have it connected to a power source.

There's probably no RPM signal, or it needs a TPS Autoset.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Did you put fresh fuel in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    There's probably no RPM signal, or it needs a TPS Autoset.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    Everything is as I left it. I'm not sure how to TPS Autoset. It's been a long time since I went through this sequence.

I'm not sure how to TPS Autoset.
    Read "Perform TPS Autoset", center of page 6: https://documents.holley.com/techlib...r10546rev1.pdf (Holley EFI Quick Start Guide)
    The EFI (laptop) software, ECU firmware & touchscreen unit (if applicable) must all be V4/V5 compatible (LINK).

That's assuming I can sync it. I might have time to try tonight.

UPDATE: I got it figured out. Since the engine had been sitting for 4 years I primed the oil pump. When I did that, I forgot to "clock" the distributor to be with the #1 piston. Rookie mistake I know. I don't know a whole lot about V8s and it's been 4 years since I messed with it. The engine fired on the first attempt after I clocked everything. I also got the laptop to communicate with the ECU. For some reason it wanted to be running. It needed a firmware update which then led to needing a TPS Autoset, but all that just took time. I need to do a final timing set before putting it in the boat. I think I'll try to copy the current Holley version I have over to my other laptop, since it's not that old. It took a full night to charge the old dinosaur laptop up enough to get it to work. Does anyone think getting the handheld programmer would be beneficial in the future? That way I'm not relying on a laptop. Hopefully, this post might help someone in the future.

Does anyone think getting the handheld programmer would be beneficial in the future? That way I'm not relying on a laptop.
    I like the 3.5" TSLCD for minor tuning & data monitoring. Full tuning must be done with the laptop/PC EFI software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast