Thread: 8366 distributor and Terminator.

Default 8366 distributor and Terminator.

After connecting, what are the steps for syncing to the Terminator EFI? I swear I remember Danny posting something on this, must be too late, can't find it anywhere. I saw a video from Holley on the Sniper EFI, but it's only partially relevant.
    Trail: 1988 XJ, ZZ6 350 Chevy, 700R4, 35" MTs, Warn 1200, 4.11 gears, Detroit lockers, Hooker headers, Terminator EFI
    Daily: 2018 Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

Using the Holley EFI software (LINK), enter the Ignition Parameters and select GM HEI (Computer Controlled).
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)

Defective ignition modules - common problem with MSD 8366 distributors.
    Replace the ignition module with a genuine GM ignition module.
    (This same rationale applies to Ford TFI distributors too.)
    ‒ Ignition module for MSD 8366 Pro-Billet Distributors:
    GM 19179578
    ACDelco D1943A
    http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata...CO_D1943A.html
    http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/...EI_modules.jpg
    ‒ I'd also verify the GM HEI module polarity is wired correctly:
    https://forums.msdperformance.com/sh...0681#post10681
    http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/GM_7pinHEI.htm
    ‒ Apply heat sink (thermal conductive) paste on the bottom of the module before installing it.
    Often times, dielectric grease is wrongly used and will lead to an overheated (failed) module.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

That's what I was trying to find, thanks man.
    Trail: 1988 XJ, ZZ6 350 Chevy, 700R4, 35" MTs, Warn 1200, 4.11 gears, Detroit lockers, Hooker headers, Terminator EFI

You're welcome.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK quick question, in that link, it says, "Without disconnecting anything, start the engine, and turn the distributor to synchronize the engine's initial (idle) timing using a timing light." The Terminator is set to 20° idle advance. At the flywheel, I'm reading 10°. "Syncing" means manually adjusting the timing to match the Terminator ECU (e.g. advancing the distributor to match 20°), or is there a deeper meaning to that?

Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    OK quick question, in that link, it says, "Without disconnecting anything, start the engine, and turn the distributor to synchronize the engine's initial (idle) timing using a timing light."
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #4)

The Terminator is set to 20° idle advance. At the flywheel, I'm reading 10°. "Syncing" means manually adjusting the timing to match the Terminator ECU (e.g. advancing the distributor to match 20°), or is there a deeper meaning to that?
    Correct, but read the rest of that Ignition Timing Synchronization LINK. Fully synchronized timing is a two step process.

Got it. Again, thanks.

You're welcome.

I just finished this, took all of 15 minutes and worked perfectly. ECU was seriously out of sync with my distributor timing. Once synced up & locked down, idles like a kitten and virtually explodes when I step on the gas. Always amazes me how much better these things are than carbs.

Thanks for the update. Yes, that Ignition Timing Synchronization (LINK) takes about 15 minutes, and yet it's a common hardship.