Thread: Dominator No-Start

Default Dominator No-Start

I'm all wired & ready to fire, thread title says it all. Installed on a 5.0L with '94/'95 style distributor (MSD 8455) with the remote mount TFI module, spliced Holley harness into the correct color coded wires, coil is heating up & popping a 20 amp fuse, but not instantly. Tech support says "we only support the '86-'93 style distributor with TFI on the distributor". I asked him to talk to the in-house brain trust, he suggested I come here. There has to be a way to wire this where I don't have to drop another $350 on a new distributor. Please help, I'm in a time crunch, we're out of town this weekend and I have an invitation only car show to attend on the 11th! Thanks.

Is the TFI mounted on a heat sink of some sort? I worked for Ford back in the 90s and I recall having to use the paste between the module and the distributor housing to help keep the module cool. I recall replacing a lot of those TFI modules, but it’s been a while. Not saying that’s your issue, just something to think about.

Your remote Ford TFI module shouldn't matter. It's just a wiring extension of the TFI module on a heat sink (with the thermal conductive paste). Plenty of Google articles about this.
    https://lmr.com/item/FF-423706B/must...-86-93-423706b (LMR TFI Module Relocation Kit)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for the replies, that is where my mind was to start with. Per Holley tech, their system will NOT support the remote TFI systems, it has been tried before & won't work. So per their advice, I return my harness to the condition it was in when I received it from Holley, replaced my 8455 MSD distributor with a 8456 with TFI module on distributor. I still have NO SPARK. I've checked continuity in all the wires in ignition harness, have 12V & good ground @ distributor connector, 12V @ coil, continuity from pulse ground in distributor connector to ground @ coil, PIP appears to be working because if I plug/unplug harness @ distributor IAC & fuel pump cycle. I have #8 ground from battery to body, ground from battery to block & block to frame. This car was originally running with a '96 EEC V EFI, so I know it runs, did the EFI conversion myself, so I'm not a first timer on the EFI wiring playground. What am I missing?
    Last edited by 66stang331; 05-06-2019 at 08:43 PM.

How are your Ignition Parameters programmed? CD ignition box? Is it wired like figure 5/6, page 14/16?
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Wired up according to Fig 5, using MSD Blaster TFI coil, it's a new coil. After issues of blowing fuse earlier, I figured it smoked the coil, so I put in a new coil. I'll have to double check Ignition Parameters, 99% sure they're setup correctly.
    Last edited by 66stang331; 05-07-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 66stang331 View Post
    After issues of blowing fuse earlier, I figured it smoked the coil, so I put in a new coil.
    What happened?

I initially spliced the Holley ignition harness into the wiring of the Ford harness between the distributor & TFI module. Sitting with the key on working on the laptop, coil would heat up to the point I couldn't hold my hand on it, then it would blow a 20 amp fuse.