Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues after MSD cam sync plug & Flying Magnet installed.

Danny, I never set it up to Magnetic, but in your upper post you said you couldn’t explain it any better than this: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....m-Sensor-Setup, and it states to use Magnetic. I think all the different variables and setups are what confuse people.

Quote Originally Posted by SICK_FOX View Post
    Danny, I never set it up to Magnetic, but in your upper post you said you couldn’t explain it any better than this: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....m-Sensor-Setup, and it states to use Magnetic.
    No, it does not! Read section 1.2 Ignition Reference Setup – "one pulse per fire" trigger, Hall-Effect Pickup.

I think all the different variables and setups are what confuse people.
    No, not reading the instructions is confusing.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I read the instructions Danny, and when I was troubleshooting I was troubleshooting to get the timing light to work on cylinder #1. Like my original post ensue found that timing light would not flash on cylinder #1. But it would on the rest of cylinders. Until I changed to Digital Rising.

And as I stated, I'm using the MSD 85221 cam sync oil pump drive plug set to Digital Falling and it works just fine.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Gotcha Danny, but I’m not and it seems others as well aren’t having luck either. Will keep poking at it and see what’s up. Just went over the whole install once more. Verified true TDC then our timing mark on compression 50° BTDC. Installed Flying Magnet with Holley sensor at that degrees. Magnet is lined up on sensor. Spin engine over to 180° BTDC. Stabbed cam sync plug. Opened window and seen magnet is having on far left. So I put sensor back on. Rotated housing CCW and LED comes on. Rotated it CW slowly until LED goes off. Locked it down. In Holley Ignition Parameters, configured to One Pulse/Fire & Digital Falling for crank. Same for cam sync. One Pulse/Fire & Digital Falling. Result is no crank. No timing light flash on cylinder #1 (but others), and then a few pops & backfires. :/

Also, the Ignition Reference Angle needs to be at least 10° higher than the maximum amount of timing used in the Base Timing Table.
    So 60° of Ignition Reference Angle allows 0°-50° of ignition timing in the Base Timing Table.
    So 50° of Ignition Reference Angle allows 0°-40° of ignition timing in the Base Timing Table.
    http://www.masterenginetuner.com/top...all-fails.html (Crank Reference Angle Importance)

Yeah, my Ignition Reference Angle is set to 50° and and there's no degrees higher than 40° in my Base Timing Table. Hopefully my turbo car will never see more than 26° degrees, LOL. Currently, the engine only cranks and halfway idles with cam sync set to Digital Rising.

If you haven't reviewed a System Log of the crank & cam signals, then you haven't read the 2nd link of my post #2. A 4x crank trigger (MSD Flying Magnet) and a 1x cam sync have a specific secondary adjustment requirement. Personally, I used the Holley EFI 556-115 36-1 SBF crank trigger kit to avoid this.

Danny, I've read that link in YellowBullet and I'm willing to share a snapshot of my System Log. Can you message me your email?

You can post it here on the forum. (Or click on my username for my email address.)
    However, that forum thread is self-explanatory with pictures of the Digital Falling edges.
    Fixing the problem is easy; just loosen the cam sync hold down bolt and rotate it a little bit.
    Record & review another short System Log and look where the Digital Falling edges occur.
    I'd position the cam Digital Falling edge in the center of the crank signal. Repeat if necessary.

Tech Support Contacts: Holley Tech Service (PHONE), Holley Tech Service (EMAIL), Holley EFI Forum (INTERNET)
    Datalogs, System Logs & Global Files can be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Or Datalogs/Files can be "zipped" (compressed folder) & attached directly to a forum post ("Go Advanced").
    Your Global File is in the "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI V4", "Global Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Your Datalogs are in the "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI V4", "Datalogs" folder (.V4.dl file).
    Pictures must be linked to a picture hosting website. I use Photobucket.com.
    Videos must be linked to a video hosting website. Most people use YouTube.com.
    If posting your Global File and a short datalog of a driveability problem for us to analyze, first review the datalog and
    inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs. Someone will look at it and offer advice.
    Read the end of this post for instructions on how to email Global Files & Datalogs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast