Thread: Water/Methanol Injection with Sniper (650 HP) EFI?

Question Water/Methanol Injection with Sniper (650 HP) EFI?

I did do a search, but haven't found anything with the Sniper (650 HP) system. Curious if anyone has adapted to the Holley Water/Methanol or other systems? Why am I asking; I ended up with a high compression engine and wouldn't mind testing out Water/Methanol instead of Race Gas additive or Race Gas in general. I appreciate any feedback from those working through a similar setup. Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbdaddy View Post
    Why am I asking; I ended up with a high compression engine and wouldn't mind testing out Water/Methanol instead of Race Gas additive or Race Gas in general.
    I don't like the idea. How much compression (& dynamic compression/camshaft duration @ .050"), and what's the quench distance?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I know one answer, 11:1 calculated based on CC of heads, piston type, height, and head gasket used. AFD 2V heads if that helps. I'm here to learn, so why do you not like the water/methanol injection? In general you don't like it? with the Sniper you don't like it? It's not worth it, stay with Race Gas etc.?

A little more info on my setup:
    '69 Mustang coupe
    408 Clevor - '69 351W bore .30 over, internal balanced, scat forged stroked crank, TCI rattler balancer, billet flywheel, Scat H beam rods, forged pistons with canted valve relief, shaved piston top by builder hence the compression ratio. AFD 2V aluminum heads, Comp Cams 1.7 intake, 1.6 exhaust with appropriate springs and retainers. Comp Cams 304HR hydraulic roller cam, Comp Cams retro-fit hydraulic roller linked lifters. Comp Cams chromoly pushrods 3/8" with guides. FlowKooler water pump, Canton 15-680S 9qt pan and appropriate pickup, canton main support, valley girdle support. All ARP fasteners, Mallory Max-Fire distributor and coil.
    Fuel system - Holley Sniper (650 HP), previously Mighty Demon 750 annular, Stainless 22 gallon with sump and return, -10 pickup -8 send -6 return all braided PTFE lines, in-line filter and modified Walbro 300 LPH electric pump - Glenn's Performance.
    Trans - T56 from Dodge Viper with QuickTime bellhousing, McLeod hydraulic TOB, Kevlar/Kevlar clutch, Modern Driveline setup.
    9" posi, Moser 31 spline chromoly axles, 3.77 ratio.
    Last edited by crabbdaddy; 04-24-2019 at 11:58 AM.

You're application doesn't need Water/Meth or race gas. My engine is 11:1 naturally aspirated, and it runs fine on 93 octane pump gas.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Interesting, maybe I'm fighting two items; 1 - gas quality 2 - timing control. I expect to resolve issue 2 with the timing control of the Sniper ECU when I install the dual sync distributor. Item 1 I guess, is crap in crap out. Nothing water/meth can improve upon, obviously no issues with Race Gas. I'm rural on the SE coast in GA, so the same gas station franchise. Trial & error, more to learn. Thanks for your input.

All three race nights this season have been rained out, so I have not been able to do my WOT testing other than a quick blip on the street. I'll be using water/meth injection for sure, and don't anticipate any problems. My setup is a ProCharger with 10 PSI boost.

I like water/meth injection. I just don't agree it's necessary on an 11:1 compression naturally aspirated engine.

Does a 50/50 mix adversely affect the tune of the Sniper? Was planning on injecting through under carb plate. (396" Windsor cast iron heads and intake and too much compression = valve rattle.)

Quote Originally Posted by gregs69rs View Post
    All three race nights this season have been rained out, so I have not been able to do my WOT testing other than a quick blip on the street. I'll be using water/meth injection for sure, and don't anticipate any problems. My setup is a ProCharger with 10 PSI boost.
    Have you used this water/meth setup yet? Are you injection prior to the Sniper, and if so, how did it react?

Yes, I've been to the track a few times and I'm loving the Sniper. I shoot a 10 GPH nozzle pre ProCharger and have two smaller nozzles in the blow-through carb hat.

The Sniper is a Closed Loop system, so in terms of how it reacts, it adjusts the AFR to match my Target AFR whether the meth is on or off. My base map was pretty close initially, so my Closed Loop Compensation has been minimal at WOT. I guess I'd have to call it seamless as you can't tell from the datalogs when the meth even comes on. It's not like a carb where the meth injection changes the AFR. The ECU will adjust fuel to compensate so the AFR is table top flat. I'm using 65% water/35% methanol (-20°F windshield washer fluid).
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC
    1.302 60', 5.95@116.4 on pump gas