Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car immediatley stalls out.

Default Car immediatley stalls out.

I read Danny's troubleshooting page for Starting issues. Can anyone see a problem with my tune numbers? I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm doing. When I crank car over, the car spits & sputters, but dies very quickly, shakes and dies quick.
    On start my IAC Position is at 60%.
    MAP was 96 kPa today.
    My Target AFR is showing 12.6 on Holley gauge setting with laptop Online.
    My actual fuel pressure is set for 40 psi.

My After Start Enrichment goes from:
    0=195 Coolant Temp
    20=187
    40=167
    60=153
    80=139
    100=126
    120=118
    140-260=114

My After Start Decay Rate is:
    0=42
    20=32
    40=23.5
    60=18
    80=12.7
    100=9.2
    120-260=6

My Base Fuel Table for MAP at 98 kPa RPM:
    700=20.5
    800=23
    900=25.4
    1000=28.5
    1100=31.8
    1200=37.2

My Coolant Temperature Enrichment for MAP at 90 kPa is:
    0=140 Coolant Temp
    20=138
    40=135
    60=125
    80=122
    100=115
    My MAP sensor is correctly chosen as the Holley 538-13 2 bar MAP.

On my Target A/F Ratio Table a MAP of 98 kPa RPM:
    700-1100 RPM=13.0
    1400=7000=12.5

Sounds like you just need a good base tune. If you want, I can remote connect and dial in your engine. efiexpert.com

Can you guys please help me? Money is tight right now. I'm trying to get the car to run safe in the driveway and not ruin anything. Thank you.

What's the AFR when it stalls? Don't make it harder than it is, it either has too much fuel, or not enough, or maybe the fuel is close and it needs more air. Crank it while holding the throttle open a bit. If it does better, remove some fuel or increase the IAC Parked Position. If holding the throttle open doesn't seem to help, add some fuel. You just need to make changes and try it.
    '95 Lightning, HP EFI, 351W, S472SX-E, 20 PSI, pump & W/M

Fordhp, you should've posted your Global File (& datalog) instead of typing all that in post #1. If this is a SBF engine, I can email you my Global Folder so you can copy my starting parameters.

For further assistance, post your Global File and a short datalog of this occurrence for us to analyze.
    Also, review the datalog and inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs.
    Datalog & Global Files must be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Files can also be "zipped" (compressed zipped folder) & attached directly to a forum post.
    Your Global File is in the "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI V4", "Global Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Your Datalogs are in the "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI V4", "Datalogs" folder (.V4.dl file).
    Someone will analyze/troubleshoot the problem & offer advice. Also, ensure all this is right:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Global File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Global File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Global File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Global File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog & System Log Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

If you touch the throttle, does it run better?

Quote Originally Posted by bWright View Post
    What's the AFR when it stalls? Don't make it harder than it is, it either has too much fuel, or not enough, or maybe the fuel is close and it needs more air. Crank it while holding the throttle open a bit. If it does better, remove some fuel or increase the IAC Parked Position. If holding the throttle open doesn't seem to help, add some fuel. You just need to make changes and try it.
    Thank you, the car shakes & dies so quick, it's hard for me to even see the AFR on the computer. I'll try back at the garage again tomorrow. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
    If you touch the throttle, does it run better?
    I tried a few times, car still dies so fast it doesn't seem to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Fordhp, you should've posted your Global File (& datalog) instead of typing all that in post #1.
    Thanks Danny! I'll look to download that Dropbox you've listed and find a way to post my HEFI file & datalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    If this is a SBF engine, I can email you my Global Folder so you can copy my starting parameters.
    I would be thankful to have a copy of your Ford Global File if possible. Can I PM you my email address? The email I have attached to my Holley account locked me out when I refused to link my work phone number to it. Thanks everybody. Going out to try again this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by fordhp View Post
    I would be thankful to have a copy of your Ford Global File if possible. Can I PM you my email address?
    Email me (click on my username).

My MAP sensor is correctly chosen as the Holley 538-13 2 bar MAP.
    Which MAP sensor is installed, and which base calibration did you use to create your Global File?
    The base calibration you start with, must correspond to the MAP sensor you're using!
    The "302 Ford Turbo", "555 BBC Turbo" and "350-383ci Supercharged 14psi" are all 2 bar base calibrations.
    The "Turbo LSx 364ci 850HP 20PSI DBW 4L80E WM" and "383-434ci Turbocharged 30 psi Gas" are 3 bar base calibrations.
    It can be done with a 1, 2 or 3 bar base calibration, but you'd have to copy & paste the proper bar MAP
    base calibration Base Fuel & Timing Tables onto your Global Folder. Read this LINK for more information.
    Selecting the correct MAP sensor in the Sensors ICF does not rectify the wrong Base Fuel & Timing Tables.
    Ensure all this is correct: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)

Remember, the base calibration you start with, must correspond to the MAP sensor you're using:
    For example, you can't use a naturally aspirated base calibration for a forced induction engine.
    This is because the 2,3,5 bar MAP sensor selection only changes the kPa load Y-axis, but not the Base Fuel Table lb/hr
    values (creating an excessively lean map) or the Base Timing Table degree values (excessively advanced timing map).
    You must choose a 2,3,5 bar base calibration or reconfigure your existing Global File's Fuel & Timing Tables accordingly.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4365#post44365 (MAP kPa & RPM Axis Configuration/Tuning Information)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Default RPM drops fast upon start & stall.

'92 Mustang. I'm having trouble getting my car started the past two weeks. Car has been on a tender in between my attempted starts. I cannot hear vacuum leaks and I have tried spraying Brakleen around openings. Car is a little loud and RPM is all over the place, so I really cannot notice anything changing RPM-wise with the spray. I have idle RPM set to 970 and I have a basic Trick Flow Stage 1 cam. I'm seeing RPM in the 4 & 500s before it stalls out. Holding the throttle open only lasts for a little while. Car will stall when going into reverse out of garage or upon restart trying to go back in garage. Any ideas? Thank you.

Which MAP sensor is installed, and which base calibration did you use to create your Global File? Was the engine starting well previously?
    Ensure all this is correct: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)

EDIT: I merged your two threads. https://forums.holley.com/showthread...476#post212476 (Previous Forum Thread - Same Problem)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast