Thread: Better Starting Timing

Default Better Starting Timing

I've read the startup tuning posts and I'm wondering if I should advance my starting timing. When my engine cranked and starts, it sounds like it fires a few times, but this isn’t enough to get it started until fires a few more times. This makes me think that it needs more ‘power’ when it’s trying to start. It’s a 1991 Mustang SBF with the Ford TFI module, so the cranking timing should be 10°, but I’m wondering if it’s safe to try to advance the timing by a few degrees.
    347 SBF N/A hand built, 1991 Fox Body Mustang, rebuilt AOD, HP EFI 3.5" LCD display, 7" Digital Dash & both I/O Adapters. Dublin Ohio, 18 years old, built not bought.

Quote Originally Posted by paddyrk View Post
    When my engine cranked and starts, it sounds like it fires a few times, but this isn’t enough to get it started until fires a few more times. This makes me think that it needs more ‘power’ when it’s trying to start.
    I doubt this is due to 10° Cranking Timing.

It’s a 1991 Mustang SBF with the Ford TFI module, so the cranking timing should be 10°, but I’m wondering if it’s safe to try to advance the timing by a few degrees.
    The most Cranking Timing I've used is 15°, but you won't know until you try it. What's your Crank To Run RPM set at?
    FYI: The "Crank To Run RPM" parameter (in Ignition Parameters) is not your actual cranking RPM when starting the engine.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Have you played with the Cranking Fuel?

Read the "TIP" in post #6 of this thread: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

My Crank To Run RPM is set to 350 or 400, the starter can spin the engine about 300 RPM without any firing I believe.
    Yes, I've gotten it to about 14.5 or a little more AFR at nearly all temperatures.

I thought the Cranking Timing was default controlled by the TFI module? As in non adjustable. I just removed the TFI and went Dual Sync, but that's how I remember it.
    '95 Lightning, HP EFI, 351W, S472SX-E,20PSI,pump and W/M

I don't remember, but you could've easily determined if it's adjustable with a timing light while cranking the engine.

It's adjustable or at least mine is on my '94 5.0L. Mine likes the starting timing parameter closer to the 20° mark, but it's not like mine is running perfect by any means.

I never tried to adjust mine when I had the TFI, so don't know, just discussing. I checked an older tune, it shows that it's adjustable in the EFI software, but in the Help file says it's defaulted to 10° through the TFI.
    '95 Lightning, HP EFI, 351W, S472SX-E,20PSI,pump and W/M

I advanced my Cranking Timing by 1°, making it 11°, and it started amazingly, sounded like push to start. Instead of sounding like it was trying to fire three times before actually starting, it just went right up. I'm going to give it another go this afternoon so I can see if it was just a fluke, or if I want to try to advance it more.
    347 SBF N/A hand built, 1991 Fox Body Mustang, rebuilt AOD, HP EFI 3.5" LCD display, 7" Digital Dash & both I/O Adapters. Dublin Ohio, 18 years old, built not bought.