Thread: Spark ESC Parameters Question

Question Spark ESC Parameters Question

Question regarding the "Spark" table and ESC Parameters. Currently I'm setting up a baseline tune for my stroked LS3 (7L) with a Whipple W175AX (2.9L) supercharger. I would like to achieve the below timing goals.
    Idle: 20° advance
    WOT (no boost): 27° advance
    WOT (13 psi boost): 11° advance
    Load Sensing: Alpha-N

So my question comes down to. Can I simply setup my base timing map with 0% TPS = 20° advance and 100% TPS = 27° advance (scale between them). Then within the ESC Parameters edit the Max Retard Table: -14.5 psig = 0° retarded and 24.1 psig = 22° retarded. this would workout to a retarding of ~16° at 13.1 psi, which would correct my timing to the desired 11° advance.

Should that work or am I misinterpreting the Max retarding table and that rather limits the amount of retarding the computer will allow when it hears a knock and I will need to adjust my timing map based on expected boost at TPS? My concern is that the MAP based timing "Max Retard" is not within the modifiers section and instead within the ESC section.
    I have attached my Global File for those interested: Jon_Baseline_Tune - 2019-03-27.zip. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

The ESC Parameters are for use with an installed knock sensor.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r10544.pdf (Holley EFI Help/Instructions Overview)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. Based on the information provided when I did use the "Help?" feature, I assumed it was based on knock coming from the knock sensors. But wanted to confirm as it wasn't explicit and I did not see a means of modifying spark based on MAP reading.

So I assume it would be best then for me to generate a timing map that properly times spark based on TPS/RPM and expected Boost at corresponding TPS/RPM, so that I have a consistent timing map and don't rely on knock to adjust the timing all the time. Thoughts/suggestions? Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Soulierej View Post
    Currently I'm setting up a baseline tune for my stroked LS3 (7L) with a Whipple W175AX (2.9L) supercharger.
    Load Sensing: Alpha-N
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulierej View Post
    So I assume it would be best then for me to generate a timing map that properly times spark based on TPS/RPM and expected Boost at corresponding TPS/RPM...
    Boosted applications should use Speed Density only (MAP kPa & RPM), not Alpha-N.

...so that I have a consistent timing map and don't rely on knock to adjust the timing all the time. Thoughts/suggestions?
    Correct, you're not supposed to rely on knock sensors at all times.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.