X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clarmo
    • Apr 2017

Sniper cutting out...it's fixed!

This was the 3rd one I've installed on my customers cars. The first two worked perfectly without any issues and they couldn't be happier. This one threw me a curve ball.

1976 Firebird, Pontiac 455ci with Edelbrock heads, Performer RPM intake manifold, 10.5:1, Hyd Roller Cam .570"/.575" lift, 236°/245° @.050 Duration. Dynoed 560 HP (at the crank) MSD 6AL with Stock Distributor (used for the pickup only) and Accel HEI style coil. The engine was built and has been driven for about 6 years now.

I installed a Sniper 550-510 with Aeromotive EFI ready to run, fuel tank & pump assembly (very nice piece!) Holley 10 micron post filter #162-554, -6 fuel lines, New MSD Pro-Billet Distributor, MSD Blaster SS Coil. MSD wires and new Autolite plugs. I'm just running the Sniper without ignition timing controls.

The issue started on the very first test drive. It would seem to hesitate and cut out for a split second. I noticed the coolant temp reading was fluctuating between 164°-155°F. It has a 180° thermostat and the Auto Meter Gauge reads 185°F. Both sending units are on either side of the thermostat housing. The next morning I checked the reading on the Intake Air Temp 86°F and the Coolant Temp 67°F I got a new sensor from NAPA TS4052 and plugged it in...84°F. Test drive and the temps read identical, BUT still cutting out!!!
    After checking the whole installation and test driving again, I noticed when it cut out the handheld screen would turn all red and flash "NO DATA" everywhere. Also the TPS sensor position reading would reset to 0% without moving my foot off the throttle as if you cycled the key. I thought I might have a bad ignition ON feed, but that checked out perfect.

The issue was the coil location! I mounted it on the intake and I guess it was too close to the throttle body unit and/or wires for the unit. I relocated the coil and issue is resolved. The car runs better now than ever! Great product! Great customer support! (I called them a few times on this.) Great Forum! Thanks.
    Last edited by Clarmo; 03-27-2019, 06:20 PM.
  • Danny Cabral
    Administrator
    • Dec 2009

Thanks for the update. Good job finding that interference issue.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• Isahia
      • Mar 2019

I'm having a similar issue and wonder if this could be part of my problem. My temperature sensor does the same. Will change it tomorrow. When driving mine, it seems to run fine under normal load, but when you step on it pops seems to lose power for a second. If you fan the throttle, it will smooth out until you try again. It's almost like it's loading up with fuel and I get horrible mileage (maybe 5) by the way. Any ideas?

Comment

• Clarmo
        • Apr 2017

My main concern was the Sniper cutting out & flashing "NO DATA" on the handheld for a millisecond, which was resolved by relocating the coil. The issue with the coolant "reading" was resolved with another sensor, BUT I fixed that first. I didn't drive the car with the coolant readings low after relocating the coil to confirm any driveability issues because of the low readings.

Comment

• RPnova
          • Oct 2017

The engine will drive pretty good for the most part with a low reading coolant sensor. It's the EMI caused by your coil location that will cause the screen to flash no data and not drive at all.
          1964 Chevy Nova, 383 Stroker, AFR 210 Heads, Ford 9inch w/TrueTrac/3.90 Gears, Powerglide Transmission. www.SoCalStreetCars.com

Comment

• Clarmo
            • Apr 2017

As I stated, the coolant sensor was not the cause of the NO-DATA issues. I realize that the RFI/EMI was caused by the coil location. The coolant sensor issue was identified and resolved in the troubleshooting process.

Comment

• Montzilla
              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by RPnova View Post
              The engine will drive pretty good for the most part with a low reading coolant sensor. It's the EMI caused by your coil location that will cause the screen to flash no data and not drive at all.
              I'm having the NO DATA! issue now. It stays on, it's been three days, nothing. I've disconnected & reconnected all plugs to ensure they're seated correctly. I've also taken my Switched +12V directly to the battery. My coil is inside car on passenger side. All my Sniper wires go in through driver's side. Last time this happened it was about a day and a half, it was all better. If it were a heat issue I'd think it wouldn't take that long. Seems like once the car runs and gets to tempature it'll do this.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	tempFileForShare_20190625-190106.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	343480

Comment

• gregs69rs
                • Dec 2018

That is EMI, Montzilla. There was a post last week or so, where the reason it ran fine up to a certain temp is because the fan kicking on is what caused the EMI. Thanks for the update to the OP.
                '69 Camaro, 400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC
                1.302 60', [email protected] on pump gas.

Comment

• danford1
                  • Feb 2018

I have 4000 miles on my Sniper now. The car was running great. Recently, I saw my handheld go all red and read No Data a few times. It didn't effect the running of the car, just the handheld unit. I checked the connector for it at the TB and it's clean & secure. What causes the handheld to do this? Do we have a rash of bad handhelds? I installed mine 5 months ago. How long is the warranty on it?

Comment

• Montzilla
                    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by gregs69rs View Post
                    That is EMI, Montzilla. There was a post last week or so, where the reason it ran fine up to a certain temp is because the fan kicking on is what caused the EMI. Thanks for the update to the OP.
                    OK, great starting point, thank you sir! Now car is off, cold battery been disconnected for days. If I connect it back up it'll still display the all red No Data. Is there a reset of some sort I'm missing?

Comment

• gregs69rs
                      • Dec 2018

I guess it could be just a bad handheld if it's saying No Data at key-on. Better call Holley tech support on that one. They may replace it for you.
                      '69 Camaro, 400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC
                      1.302 60', [email protected] on pump gas.

Comment

• XW_Falcon_351C
                        • Feb 2019

Does the handheld allow you to save the Sniper config to handheld or to load a handheld config file and upload to Sniper?
                        Does the handheld let you update the Sniper firmware?
                        Have you checked to see what the USB dongle can see when plugged into the Sniper? This would indicate Sniper to be OK and the problem being specific to the handheld.
                        If you still have access to the other Sniper installations you performed, try another handheld on the current build and or try the no data handheld on another working Sniper installation.
                        Possibly updating the handhelds firmware and Sniper firmware might resolve the issue if the previous firmware did not load correctly.
                        A while back a user had an issue with their handheld. They carefully opened the housing and found a solder connection that had come away. Re-soldered and resolved their issue. Some users may send back for warranty repair, others may prefer to diagnose and fix themselves if confident not to cause further problems.
                        1970 XW Fairmont (presented as a GT Falcon Replica), 351 Cleveland with Aussie 302 2V closed chamber heads. Edelbrock F351 2V dual plane intake manifold. Camtech CT21544 (234/238@050", 570/579lift, 2600-6200rpm quoted range, 110lobes) 1.73:1 roller rockers. AOD Transmission. Ford 9" 3.5 Diff ratio. Pacemaker #PH4050 2v Tri-Y extractors to 2.5" Hi Flow V-Tex merge pipe with dual 2.5" exhaust through Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers. Holley Sniper EFI 4150 Super Sniper 650 with HyperSpark Ignition.

Comment

• Montzilla
                          • Jun 2019

Handheld won't do anything but display NO DATA! in red. I've tried new main harness, all connected directly to battery + & - even the switched. I also hooked the laptop up to the Sniper and it could not connect. Holley is working with me. I'll update when I know what they think.

Comment

• Montzilla
                            • Jun 2019

Holley replaced the main computer. Got it back yesterday, installed (also used a Quick Fuel heat shield, JIC). MUCH better experience so far. Now I have to get the idle under control.

Comment

• danford1
                              • Feb 2018

You posts are 10 days apart. Did it take that long for Holley to replace the ECU? Seems like a long time to go without driving your car. Did you only send them the ECU, or did you have to send the whole throttle body back?

Comment

Working...
                              X