Thread: 4160 Bog & Die

Default 4160 Bog & Die

I have an old dump truck with a 391 and a Holley 4160. It has the "List 1850-3" number on it. I recently rebuilt it and had it running. Now I can not get it to start without pumping the pedal about 15 times first. It starts & runs smooth for about 30 seconds before it bogs & dies. The first step I took was to change the fuel filter. I thought maybe it was not allowing enough flow and starving the carb for fuel. This had no effect on the start, bog & die. Next I thought maybe it was the fuel pump. I pumped the pedal, started, and then let it bog & die. As soon as it died, I took out the screw in the side of the bowl. The fuel lightly trickled out, so it had the right amount of fuel in the bowl when it died. I'm now thinking it's in the idle portion of the carb. Where do I start troubleshooting it now? Thanks, Wayne

Wayne, sounds like you need to pull BOTH needle & seats out to check for rubber fuel line debris AFTER the fuel filter.
    This usually happens after fuel hoses are disturbed.
    Pumping the throttle 15 times would flood any engine, so you have a serious fuel system issue.
    Your carb is a 600 vacuum sec -3, version 3, fairly common carb.
    Did you fit the CORRECT metering block gasket? Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 03-25-2019 at 02:43 AM.
    Regards, Gary

Thanks Gary! I was dead set on fuel supply issue. It was almost like it ran out of gas every time it died. I'll pull the bowls and see what I find. I also thought that would flood it. It sprays good on every pump. Less than 10 to 15 and it won't even try to hit. I'm positive I used the correct gasket.

I wouldn't even think about pumping the throttle that hard on any Holley carb I've had. 10-15 pumps would flood my engines for sure. Are you sure this is a fueling issue, and not spark related? Gary
    Regards, Gary

It has all new plugs, wires, rotary button, cap, coil, and a Pertronix points replacement. I did all this because I was trying to set the timing and found out 3 of the 8 cylinders were not firing. At that time, it actually idled very smooth on 5 cylinders.

After rebuilding the carb, it ran really good. I forgot some o-rings around a small brass tube running between the two bowls. It wasn't the supply tube. I assumed it was to keep the fuel level the same between the two bowls. This caused it to leak fuel pretty bad. I got the leak fixed, but lost idle in the process.

I hope to get home early enough today to pull the carb and go through the idle circuit to make sure everything is clean & open.

Got it pulled this afternoon. I took the primary bowl off with metering block. Everything was really clean. I still used 2 big cans of carb cleaner on it. Every hole and every channel showed good spray. I got it back together and on the truck just before dark. I did replace the line from the filter to the carb with a new one. It actually hit pretty quickly without any pumps. It had a really slow and loping idle. I screwed the idle screw in a couple of turns so it would run and warm up some. I still need to put the vacuum gauge on it and adjust the mixture screws, but it got too dark. Obviously something somewhere in there was plugged and dirty. Oh, it did smoke something horrible, but I'm hoping that was carb cleaner that got sprayed into the secondary bowl. It was starting to clear up when I stopped.

Once you have a respectable idle, you need to recheck and adjust both float levels with the engine running, and then go back and adjust the idle speed and mixture. You may want to open the secondary butterflies about 1/4 turn to help keep the primary shaft where it should be at idle. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Thanks! The help is greatly appreciated.

Have you solved your problem? Gary
    Regards, Gary