Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Car accelerating without touching the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by gdbst1 View Post
    Well guys, you were spot on. Got the mechanic to check the mount again and sure enough, cracked right through. The motor was lifting and the valve cover was holding the throttle rod in position. All fixed now and running like a dream. He did mention that it might be worth getting some better mounts put on. Any suggestions? Thanks again for all your help.
    Awesome! Congrats on finding the solution, and thanks for reporting back!

For the ultimate assurance it won't happen again, you could put a solid motor mount on the drivers side, but leave the factory mounts on the passenger side and the transmission. It will add a little vibration to the car, but not much. I have been running mine this way for 25+ years. If you don't want to get a solid mount just get a nice one from PST or another aftermarket company.

Good idea, I'll take a look into some options. Wouldn't mind swapping out the old throttle rod setup. The bracket from the firewall runs right up close to the valve cover. 1st question, has anyone swapped theirs out? 2nd, how much can you get your TPS up to? The most I can get mine up to with my foot absolutely mashed to the floor is 80%. Thanks again.

I suggest looking into: JEGS Billet Pedal Assemblies. When I was a teenager I had a Chrysler 440 with a broken motor mount. When the accelerator pedal was floored something went bang and the accelerator pedal would stick on the floor. I quickly figured out the pedal could be unstuck by prying it up with my toe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234