Thread: LS3 Ignition Timing

Default LS3 Ignition Timing

I'm using the Holley HP to run a 24x LS3. I fired it for the first time last night using the Drive-By-Cable LS1 4L60E calibration in the EFI software. My question is does anyone have a base timing table for an LS3 that I could use, or point me in the direction of one? I have the info from HPTuners for it, but the way the tables are setup differ from one software to another. To get it running I just backed the timing off across the table just to be on the safe side. But if possible I'd like to at least have the LS3 info as a starting point. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I've been looking for the same thing. I've read that the LS3 likes less timing than an LS1 or SBC. I found this old thread: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ght=ls3+timing. I'm just not sure how to blend the transition areas.
    Last edited by kv67ssrs; 03-07-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Yeah, I came across that as well. I backed the timing off across the table. I'll have to experiment with it more once the weather breaks, and I can get the car out. But like you, I'm not 100% sure on how to blend it. I think I'll have a better idea once I can get some decent datalogs and see where it's at.

I advise people to acquire the following timing values with a timing light or scan tool, before converting to Holley EFI. Once you determine the idle, cruise & WOT timing (RPM & kPa), then you can blend between the three points in the Base Timing Table. I usually program (copy & paste) the top three kPa rows with the same timing curve values, and continue with the same numerical value(s) in the RPM columns from about 3500 RPM to WOT. Once you have an initial Base Timing Table established, you'll find it's easier to fine tune the table. The new "Heat Map" software feature illustrates the basic timing curve in color, and of course, the Timing Graph is the timing curve, which should be blended smooth.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Remember, the only thing this EFI system self-tunes, is the Base Fuel Table, via the Learn Table.
    You're responsible for everything else, especially the Target A/F Ratio Table & the Base Timing Table.
    A dynamometer is the only real way to determine the optimum ignition timing for your performance engine.
    Most people research it, or just "know" what their engine needs or likes. Especially if it's a popular engine.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8640#post88640 (Target A/F Ratio Table & Base Timing Table Reference)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4365#post44365 (MAP kPa & RPM Axis Configuration/Tuning Information)

Read pages 4-10 of this Edelbrock EFI tuning manual, it's very good:
    https://edelbrock-files-v1.s3.amazon...ers-manual.pdf
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

That's great, thanks Danny! I appreciate it, as I have been looking for something like what you posted above for a while. That will help a lot.

You're welcome.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.