Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy flooding at start.

Default Heavy flooding at start.

I have a 1991 Mustang, Turbo, 10-14 psi Boss 5.0 4-bolt block, new engine that I removed the EEC-IV system from and replaced with the 550-606 HP system. Took my time wiring and did a solid job, used the V5 firmware, the Custom GCF for the Turbo EFI 302 and on my first attempt to start I was able to get it running by applying a light throttle. From that point I let it idle and the RPM wavered between 900-1000 (basically where it was set to) I tried applying a little fuel and now the system is entirely flooded. I got it to fire a couple times but at higher RPM and then it would just die and it was entirely over fueled. I set the TPS a couple times and the car wants to fire with just a hair of light throttle. It's obviously far too rich and I'm looking for answers as I have searched the forum for flooding problems to no avail. At the first start I let it idle for over 15 minutes and while the AFR bounced around between 16-11 the car seemed to run fine as if it was just adjusting. No problem until I applied a little throttle and then it was over. As I speak I'm heading to get a new solenoid, I cranked on this one far too much.

One thing I was going to mention and I do not know if it mattered, was using the green wire directly to the Fox body Green/Yellow where the Fuel relay is under The driver's seat. In fact, I connected it at the connector where the kick panel is as the EEC-IV system was controlling it. Using PWM− to the 2-wire Ford IAC and car ran fine prior to the ECU swap outside of being a hair fat due to tuning on the top. Any ideas? I'm a 25 year IT expert and gear head of longer, but this is new territory. Thanks, Rob

More info. The intake is an Edelbrock EFI lower 29285 with 3848 Elbow, Edelbrock rails & 75mm throttle body, 42 lb/hr injectors & 340 LPH Aeromotive pump. I'm not using a fuel pressure sensor or oil pressure sensor and Fuel pressure is 45 psi. While running I was able to identify that the timing was at 14.3 (when it was set at 10° with jumper removed from TFI system), so it was working.

Did you change the injector settings in the GCF to match your injectors?

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by SatherCS View Post
    Did you change the injector settings in the GCF to match your injectors?
    I did change it from 60 to 42. I did however miss on the high/low impedance.

List of things I figure I did incorrectly to date.
    1. I didn't start reading and understanding the software about 4 months ago when I first decided to go this route. I have seen your posts here many times in wiring and the setup, should have kept reading.
    2. Clear Flood TPS? It was set to 60% I don't even know what that is.
    3. Enable Fuel Prime was not set. Something tell me that I need to do this and establish a value, don't know what that is.
    4. 1 bar MAP came with package, 2 bar was selected in GCF. Not sure of impact. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    Indeed. Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldHack View Post
    1 bar MAP came with package, 2 bar was selected in GCF. Not sure of impact.
    If you have a 1 bar MAP sensor, you need a 1 bar MAP base calibration.
    If you have a 2 bar MAP sensor, you need a 2 bar MAP base calibration.
    If you have a 3 bar MAP sensor, you need a 3 bar MAP base calibration.
    The "302 Ford Turbo", "555 BBC Turbo" and "350-383ci Supercharged 14psi" are all 2 bar base calibrations.
    The "Turbo LSx 364ci 850HP 20PSI DBW 4L80E WM" and "383-434ci Turbocharged 30 psi Gas" are 3 bar base calibrations.

It can be done with a 1, 2 or 3 bar base calibration, but you'd have to copy & paste the 2 bar MAP
    base calibration Base Fuel & Timing Tables onto your Global Folder. Read this LINK for more information.
    Selecting the correct MAP sensor does not rectify the wrong Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Here's an excerpt from the link I wrote below.
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Remember, the base calibration you start with, must correspond to the MAP sensor you're using:
    For example, you can't use a naturally aspirated base calibration for a forced induction engine.
    This is because the 2,3,5 bar MAP sensor selection only changes the kPa load Y-axis, but not the Base Fuel Table lb/hr
    values (creating an excessively lean map) or the Base Timing Table degree values (excessively advanced timing map).
    You must choose a 2,3,5 bar base calibration or reconfigure your existing Global Folder's Fuel & Timing Tables accordingly.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Nice! Great description, Danny. I totally get it now. Thanks! Been looking into the .hefi files. My IT side is starting to see how this works.

You're welcome.

Fired up the car, burned off the fuel and it was idling high due to adjustment screw. I let it run long enough to make sure it wasn't flooded anymore and it wouldn't read Closed Loop/Learn. Turned the idle down to 850 and within 10-15 seconds the thing ran PERFECT, Closed Loop & Learn showed active IAC hanging around 6-7%. Idle is the most stable that it's ever been since the turbo was added, maybe ever. Throttle response is fantastic and AFR is running around 14.2 right now. Incredible. Off to the Dyno and my tuner. Last pull on this was with the SCT chip on my A9P ECM and we had to quit at 664 HP/632 TQ (wastegate stuck open), but he told me to get this setup and bring it back. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. Nice update. I'm glad we got this situated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast