Thread: How much lift can Earl's 1200890 live with?

Default How much lift can Earl's 1200890 live with?

How much lift can an Earl's 1200890 pump reliably handle? I'm looking for about 10" above the bottom and 2" above the top of the tank.

I have a marine HP EFI, twin turbo LSx. The boat has a belly tank, so is the lowest point in the hull and the tank is about 8" tall. Therefore the fuel pump and filters are above the tank. The system has a primary water separating fuel filter prior to the Earl's fuel pump then a Earl's 10 micron filter after the pump.

My original setup had the water separating filter about 18" above the bottom of the tank and the pump about 10" (basically just above the tank). There was a trap with the filter at the highest point. After the initial priming everything was running "OK", but on some accelerations & decelerations the engine would miss, which I believe was fuel. I also noticed that the pump would cavitate momentarily at each key on.

I tried to raise the Earls pump and filter above the water separating filter to eliminate the trap, but now the system will not prime. Practically the lowest I can put the pump is in it's original position about 2" above the top of the tank. I can relocate the water separating filter so it is about the same height. If the only solution is a surge tank, will a Holley Blue electric pump work as a lift pump, or can you recommend another lift pump to supply the surge tank?

Gerotor type electric fuel pumps can push fuel (pressurize), much easier than they can pull fuel (suction). I wouldn't trust an improper installation long term.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. To confirm, that means the Earl's pump is not rated for any lift? Do you have a recommendation for a pump to supply a surge tank? How about the Holley Blue pump? I have one of those on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutphen View Post
    Thanks Danny. To confirm, that means the Earl's pump is not rated for any lift?
    From the Earl's instruction manual below:
    "1. Select a mounting site as close as possible to the fuel tank and away from possible sources of heat as detailed previously."
    https://documents.holley.com/199r11108.pdf (Earl's 1200890 100 GPH HP In-Line Fuel Pump)

Do you have a recommendation for a pump to supply a surge tank? How about the Holley Blue pump? I have one of those on the shelf.
    You'd just have to try it.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.