Thread: 0-80457S choke randomly opens a bit and fast idle re-engages.

Default 0-80457S choke randomly opens a bit and fast idle re-engages.

Hi. I'm having a problem with my 4 barrel on my 72 Econoline 302 SBF, and can't quite figure what might be causing it. It has electric choke that seems on the whole to operate as expected. When I blip the gas pedal, the revs drop on the fast idle cam to normal. However, increasingly after driving it a bit the idle revs increase and if I pull the filter off I can see that the choke appears to have opened a bit again and it's running on fast idle again. Pressing it down with my finger causes the choke to switch off again the choke flap to lock in vertical again. I'm running the choke, so it's a little open when cold so the spring should be quite tight when it fully opens the choke flap. (I know there is a word for this, I just can't remember it.)
    Any ideas where to start with this? Thanks, Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiefixit View Post
    (I know there is a word for this, I just can't remember it.)
    It's called a choke plate (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. Any thoughts about what might cause the problem? I have at various times considered converting to a manual choke because it removes a lot of accidental complexity, and an electric choke that never quite seems right. Is this a simple swap out or are there restrictions that would limit attempting this? Thanks again, Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiefixit View Post
    Hi. I'm having a problem with my 4 barrel on my 72 Econoline 302 SBF, and can't quite figure what might be causing it. It has electric choke that seems on the whole to operate as expected. When I blip the gas pedal, the revs drop on the fast idle cam to normal. However, increasingly after driving it a bit the idle revs increase and if I pull the filter off I can see that the choke appears to have opened a bit again and it's running on fast idle again. Pressing it down with my finger causes the choke to switch off again the choke flap to lock in vertical again. I'm running the choke, so it's a little open when cold so the spring should be quite tight when it fully opens the choke flap. (I know there is a word for this, I just can't remember it.) Any ideas where to start with this? Thanks, Jamie.
    The choke appears to have opened a bit again. You mean the choke has started to close.
    A bimetallic spring which is heated from ignition current opens the choke flap.
    When the spring is cold, the choke flap should be adjusted to be just closed.
    Adjustment will depend on personal preference and the weather, etc.
    You need to verify all the choke linkage is free when the engine is hot. Gary
    Regards, Gary