Thread: 3.5" Handheld Issue

Default 3.5" Handheld Issue

This may or may not have been addressed before, but I could not find the information I need. I've had a Terminator since 2015 and it works great. I'm using firmware version V2. I wanted to upgrade the handheld to a touchscreen, so I purchased a 3.5" touchscreen. Based on the recommendations, it would appear that V4 is the way to go. So I updated the touchscreen without issue. The ECU on the other hand, is not as happy. I downloaded the necessary files for the firmware update. I tried the ECU update twice and it came back BAM ERROR both times. Did find a thread about another who had a similar issue, so rechecked the firmware numbers. Apparently the one the system wants is HEFI_4000640.eep. The one that comes with the V4 firmware for 4.0.30 is HEFI_4000740.eep. I don't need any of the V4 110 stuff. So where do I find the correct firmware version? So having said that, I tried to use the V2 touchscreen 3.5" update. My hand held updated, but would not communicate with the ECU even though the correct firmware version is still in the ECU, HEFI_00001589.eep. I verified with the original handheld. I have no need for V5, I just would like for my 3.5" touchscreen to communicate with the ECU. Need some help.

https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Scroll down to "Holley V4 EFI Software".)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2700 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Hello Danny. I have downloaded the V4 software as I stated. My Terminator HP ECU would not accept it. I got the BAM error at the very end of it trying to load the firmware. I did not try V4_110 and maybe that is the problem. I have read through all of the stuff as I mentioned before. My question was the V4 PDF says that the firmware should be 4000640. The firmware that is in the V4 update for 4.0.30 is HEFI_4000740.eep There is a mismatch and I'm guessing that is the problem. So I will try the V4_110 and see what that does. Suffice to say I don't need all the V4_110 stuff, that is why I was trying the V4_30. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by condor7 View Post
    Suffice to say I don't need all the V4_110 stuff, that is why I was trying the V4_30. Your thoughts?
    It doesn't matter if you do or don't need all the features, use the latest ECU firmware.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2700 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Well I'm back and I'm not having fun. My 3.5 handheld is giving me a fit. First let me say my motor is a 355 SBC, no add ons. I went from using V2 to V4. I have no use for V5. I put V4 on my laptop. I did all the necessary steps to update the ECU (HP) and convert the necessary global file. Engine starts up and runs just fine, no issue with the V4 upgrade from V2. The 3.5 hand held is another story. I update the software to V4 on the hand held. No issue. It would appear there is a major disconnect from the firmware update. According to the V4 Software and Firmware Revisions, Version 4.0.30 (V4.0 Build 30), which is exactly what I have on my laptop and upgraded to is supposed to be used with Firmware HEFI_4000640.eep. I have attempted to update the hand held several times but always get a BAM1 error with an Error 33. What is a Error 33?? I have found no information on that at all. Danny I know you said before to use the latest version of V4 but the Revision says very clearly : Version 4.0.110 (V4.0 Build 110) – Release 12-13-17
    Update to this software and firmware if you specifically:
     Are using Coyote Ti-VCT variable valve timing
     Are using Drive-By-Wire throttle body
     Are using 2003+ Ford 4R70W
    I have and am not using any of the above. Now just for fun I tried to use this version of V4 and another epic fail with the same error.
    It would appear to me that I need firmware Build 30 as the other firmware does not work correctly. The only thing that I see as a mismatch is the firmware build, ie build 30. The software V4 that I put on my laptop clearly says V4.0.30 Build 30. The revision for V4.0.30 says it includes firmware version V4.0 Build 64. Does not show any Build 30.

From the revision document:
    Version HEFI_4000640.eep (V4.0 Build 64) – For use with software versions 4.0.29 and 4.0.30
     Fixed firmware version V4.0 Build 63 issue where the following canned ignition types have a fixed .1
    msec of dwell resulting in a no-start condition during cranking. The following ignition types were
    affected and corrected:
     Gen III HEMI 36-2+2, Waste Spark Coils
     Gen III HEMI 36-2+2, COP
     Gen III HEMI 60-2, non-VVT
     Ford Modular 2V/4V, 4.6 and 5.4, Waste-Spark Coils

This is where I got the current V4 version from:
    Previous Holley EFI V4 Software and Firmware Contains all previous V4 software versions (Build 30 and 32) in a zipped file. Compatible firmware is included in the software installer. (From the Holley EFI V4 Software section).

Perhaps I don't have a grasp on the firmware stuff but I'm fairly certain that is what the issue is with my handheld. Like I said, I tried the V4.0110 (V4.0 Build 110 and it failed on the hand held as well. (This was after I uploaded to the HP ECU and verified engine operation. (I went back to V4.0.30 for reasons already stated).

What do the errors mean? What is the issue with the firmware? I got the handheld specifically so I would not need to lug around a laptop. (MY old V2 handheld is hard to see and not compatible with V4 and all the neat stuff it does). Help!

I wanted to add to my last post: I verified with my laptop that the current software & firmware in the HP ECU is V4.0 Build 64. The handheld has V4.0.30 loaded and it displays correctly. The problem comes in when trying to load HEFI_4000640.eep into the handheld. That's when the error occurs.

UPDATE: Mystery solved. My handheld, 3.5, would power on, update firmware, but not communicate with the CAN Bus. Did not matter what firmware or software I tried in both the handheld or ECU (HP). So tried using my old Terminator handheld. Worked perfectly. Now apply electrical troubleshooting 101. Checked all cables, everything fine. That only leaves the handheld. Separated the handheld so I could look inside. Well the first glaring thing is there are 4 wires soldered to the back of the board, except, one was not soldered. Soldered the wire to the board and presto, handheld works just fine. Tried Tech support several times, constantly on hold. Sent an email, got one response then nothing. I'm sure I would have been told to send it to Holley, but just could not accept that. I was doing everything correctly, it was a mechanical issue. I just wanted to make closure on this post. I'll upgrade later to V4. Just happy at this point it works.

Thanks for the update. Good job finding & fixing that.