Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminator or Sniper?

Default Terminator or Sniper?

I have the chance to buy a (barely) used Terminator TBI kit for $750. (Throttle body, ECU, and harness) is the old school Terminator kit better than the new Sniper system? This model does not have transmission control. Will be installing on a sbc 350. Should i purchase the used Terminator setup or a new sniper kit? I may swap to a LS later in this truck, the Terminator kit will work with an LS but the sniper will not, correct?

You could make both work on an LS. With the Sniper, your only option for timing control would be an external unit (for the LS) and intake manifold choices are limited to carb style intakes. The basic Terminator uses an HP ECU, which means that you could switch to MPFI if you wanted to by either buying or making your own harness.

My thoughts on the LS application were using the carb intake to give it a retro look. And I have seen the harness for LS for sale. But going back to the current application (SBC 350) is there really any advantage of one over the other? I know the Sniper would eliminate the need of mounting an ECU, but I'm not too bothered by this. Is the Terminator just as reliable or more reliable than the Sniper?

Quote Originally Posted by matt9327 View Post
    ...is there really any advantage of one over the other?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ator-vs-Sniper (Additional Terminator vs Sniper TBI Information)

Is the Terminator just as reliable or more reliable than the Sniper?
    I think it's more reliable, you get what you pay for.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

So I should definitely jump for the used Terminator unit for $750?

I certainly would.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

One more question, if I wanted to later, is there an ECU I can purchase that can control an electronic transmission? This Terminator does not have transmission control currently.

Yes, the Terminator/HP ECU can be upgraded to the Dominator ECU (electronic transmission control). The Sniper EFI can not.

I'll jump on the Terminator EFI system then. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast