Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, I知 a new member with a Holley EFI problem.

Default Hello, I知 a new member with a Holley EFI problem.

I've built a custom car with a Holley HP EFI system. My car is a 1965 Corvair with a Northstar Cadillac 4.6L engine. I have a twin turbo setup with water-to-air inter cooler and a 92 mm throttle body on a custom built intake manifold arrangement. My problem consists of a stalling problem and a cold starting problem. The cold start is not starting at a higher idle and then settling down to a normal idle, just starts. At the normal speed which sometimes makes it hard to keep running. The stalling issue is evident when you slow down after running at more than moderate throttle and come to a stop. Then the engine is hard to start, you have to open throttle more than halfway and operate at 2000 RPM or more for a while before it will settle to normal idle speed, so you have to drive with two feet and feather the throttle to keep it from stalling. It seems to me this may be a common problem, but as yet I can’t find a remedy.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232ー-244ー duration/.623" lift/114ー LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Which Holley EFI system do you have? I recall some time back someone was selling the Commander 950 system for Northstar engines. Is this what you have, or is it a modern HP or Dominator ECU? Andrew

I'm working with the Holley HP EFI. I managed to get some help wiring it to the Northstar coil pack, that part seems to be good. Someone suggested that I turn off the ignition switch before trying to restart after a stall. I haven't tried that yet.

Well, I tried turning off the ignition switch, but that did not help. I was instructed by Holley support to change the Cranking Enrichment setting to 34 instead of 24, and raising the rest of the graph settings by +10. That even made it worse. It took even longer for the idle to settle down after running it at 2000 -2500 for a minute or so, and I had to feather the throttle by driving with two feet and keep it above 1800 or it would stall when I came to a stop. What am I missing? I read the steps #1-#6 as suggested, but I failed to see anything that would pertain to this issue.

Do a little research on Datalogging the event.

Overlay the datalog onto your Global File, and pay special attention to the center paragraph in blue print:
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Global File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Global File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Global File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Global File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog & System Log Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7OZUXLRS1Q (How To Record A System Log & Diagnose A No-Start Condition)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232ー-244ー duration/.623" lift/114ー LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Well, here I am back at trying to get this to work. I created a datalog file and I noticed that when the engine stalls after it's warmed up, the fuel rate triples and the timing goes from 11 or 12ー to 20ー then just floods out and stalls. Some other observations this engine is just sitting here idling for more than 20 or 30 minutes, I also noticed that when I'm driving it and come to a stop I have to keep the engine from stalling by keeping my foot on the gas. I also noticed that when the engine is cold, I can put it in gear and it'll keep running. When the engine is warmed up 200ーF when I drop it in gear it stalls. I don't really know how to interpret the datalog graph accept to look at the multi-colored lines and see that there's a correlation that when the engine stalls, a few other things also change. Why oh why does it just stall when it's just idling? It should sit there and idle for hours I think. Would it help if I sent you the datalog file, or should I send the ECU back to the factory to have it checked out. Please advise. Best regards, Speedball

Extract the latest tune from the ECU and post it here, or send me a PM and I can give you my email address. Andrew

Andrew, sorry I'm not familiar with PM, and I'm not sure how to extract the latest tune. I have a datalog file, will that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast