Thread: Automatic transmission loose wires.

Default Automatic transmission loose wires.

Hey guys I'm in the process of installing a Dominator with a 4L80E. The Holley documents show where the loose wires on the transmission harness go, except for the red/white one. I can't seem to find anything on it. I know the red/white wire is typically switched power, is it safe to assume it's the same for the transmission? Thanks for any help.

http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 28 & 29, Page 41)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'm going to update this thread for future reference, so others don't have this same issue. The Holley EFI Wiring Manual contains several errors.

First the part number they list for the GM electronic transmissions harness in page 40 section 12.0 is 558-505, which is not the correct part number. The correct part number for the GM transmission harness is 558-405.

Second of all, as I stated in the original post there is no mention of the red/white wire in the wiring manual, and there's also a relay in the actual harness that is not shown in the wiring schematics in figures 28 and 29 of page 41.

So my take on this is that the red wire is not switched power as mentioned in the wiring manual, but rather 12V constant battery power for the relay, and the red/white wire is 12V switched power to control the relay.

This must be an update Holley made to the GM transmission harness to solve the 12V backfeed issue from the transmission to the ECU, causing the engine to not turn off when the ignition was turned off. Unfortunately, I'm not at the running stage, so I can not confirm.

I ordered the 558-405 harness last year, and it did not come with the relay. This must be a recent change to fix the back powering problem. I had to add the relay to fix the problem.

Yes, Holley added the transmission harness relay, and I'm glad they did. (Here's a LINK for others that aren't familiar with the previous problem.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.