Thread: Can the mechanical fuel pump be left on engine, just not hooked up?

Default Can the mechanical fuel pump be left on engine, just not hooked up?

I ordered a Sniper for my car and I'm waiting for delivery. I was wondering about my mechanical fuel pump that's on the engine (302 Ford). Can I simply just unhook it and leave in on the engine? I was thinking of doing that because if the Sniper strands me on the side of the road 50 miles from civilization, I would like to plop on my carb (I'll keep it in the trunk) and hook up the fuel pump so I can drive home. Let me know. Danford1

I'd think you'll have to block off the fittings otherwise it'll be annoying to hear it sucking air in & out all the time, plus that should stop the diaphragm flexing and let the spring underneath it do all the work.

Alternatively you could have an extra fuel pressure regulator attached to your carb and set at a much lower pressure, then connect that to the Sniper fuel supply?

In all honesty though I think you're wasting your time carrying a spare carb, no offense intended.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I'd think you'll have to block off the fittings otherwise it'll be annoying to hear it sucking air in & out all the time, plus that should stop the diaphragm flexing and let the spring underneath it do all the work.
    I put a loop of fuel hose filled with fuel on my mechanical fuel pump when I first moved to EFI, in order to have the pump not run dry.

Don't know why you wouldn't want to put a block off plate on your engine. Trying to keep a mechanical fuel pump in place is just going to create a failure point down the road. No way you can keep that pump usable without fuel flow.

An alternative would be to keep your mechanical fuel pump, your stock fuel lines, and run a surge tank (like RobbMc PowerSurge or FiTech FCC). Mechanical pump feeds the surge tank, and the high pressure pump in the surge tank feeds the Sniper. That's what I'm running on my AMC 360. Kept the entire fuel system stock from the gas tank all the way to the mechanical pump.

Agree, fit a block off plate.

Another reason to remove it is the pump will continue to operate the diaphragm up & down at full stroke, since the output has no restriction like a carb needle and seat.
    A mechanical pump does not operate at max capacity all the time, and this is what you'll be doing.

Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 01-14-2019 at 02:19 AM.
    Regards, Gary

Since it only takes a few minutes to plop on a carb, it will only take a few more minutes to plop on the fuel pump.

If you are determined to have a backup carb, get a low pressure regulator (or low pressure spring for your current regulator) to go with it, and change both if needed.