Thread: Sniper Not Learning

Default Sniper Not Learning

Can't see why the Sniper is not Learning. I posted the bog issue I've had also. It only happens below 1800 or so. Friend told me to get a 2500 stall. I have a 355 SBC with Edelbrock RPM heads (2.02) 70cc chamber heads. Dual-plane RPM intake, Sniper and a V3 SI Vortech with 6 or so pounds of boost. 4L60E transmission (for now). Runs great for the most part. Any other issues you see please let me know.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q59dldiphvuy93/bog.csv?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e40cz0uzkz...rn.sniper?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ufgzzc2mr....info.txt?dl=0
    Last edited by Derek Miller; 01-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.

You have your Coolant Temperature Enrichment set so it doesn't get to 100% until 160°F, even though your engine is running about 170°F. I can see in the bog info you sent that you're still getting enrichment at 100.07% or so this will turn off Learning. Set your Config File so enrichment is off by 140°F and it should start Learning. Same thing happened to mine when I changed the scale for the Coolant Temperature Enrichment table. Can't help much on the bog without a datalog, but I do see your AFR goes to 22:1.

Thanks. Just lowered it. I'll upload in the morning.

Or just set the enrichment to 99% @ 160°F. I had a issue with mine where even though the enrichment said 100% @ 160°F, it would only go to 100.2. So Learn wouldn’t enable, changed to 99% and problem solved.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Learn Issues, Self-Tuning".)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

The most important thing to remember when working with computer systems is that they do what they're told to do. Even if you don't think you told it to do something, or you don't remember that you told it to do something, or you don't realize that it is following some instructions that you are unaware of. The computer just does what it's told to do. So when you run into a problem where it doesn't appear to be learning, you have to approach the problem as "what turns on learning" rather than "it won't learn".

Once you learn how to debug SW systems, the whole Sniper experience goes a lot easier. There is a big command table sitting in the background that tells the Sniper what to do. All of the little flags have to be green before it goes into Learn mode or before it does other things. Older hot rodders who have lots of mechanical experience often are not used to thinking about SW systems with lots of interlocks. Most mechanical systems don't have multiple interlocks so people aren't used to thinking about A has to be this, B has to be that, C has to be here, and then D happens.

Learning. Thanks all.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    So when you run into a problem where it doesn't appear to be learning, you have to approach the problem as "what turns on learning" rather than "it won't learn".
    Once you learn how to debug SW systems, the whole Sniper experience goes a lot easier. There is a big command table sitting in the background that tells the Sniper what to do. All of the little flags have to be green before it goes into Learn mode or before it does other things. Older hot rodders who have lots of mechanical experience often are not used to thinking about SW systems with lots of interlocks. Most mechanical systems don't have multiple interlocks so people aren't used to thinking about A has to be this, B has to be that, C has to be here, and then D happens.
    Couldn't be more spot on andyf!

Something I learned many years ago in GM Technical Training courses; the best way to troubleshoot a system that isn't working as expected is to study how it's supposed to work normally, then start the process of debugging/elimination variable based on that knowledge. I've always appreciated the "Circuit Description" text in service manuals that gives just that (as you noted, "...A has to be this, B has to be that, C has to be here, and then D happens.")

The HEFI online help tuning manuals do a pretty good job of this too IMHO, and continues to improve since V2. I'll admit it requires a lot of reading, and thanks to online assistance/clarification from guys like yourself, Danny and others here, which can't be understated.

HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi