Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Dash Startup Question

It won't be +12V while cranking. A battery will drop about two volts when cranking to start.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...9369#post79369 (Related Forum Post)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, so it’s fine for me to be sitting at 10.2 while cranking? I knew it would drop some, but I thought that was too much.

In regards to battery voltage drop, is ECU datalogging more accurate then the Data Monitor? Before cranking, the Data Monitor shows 12.3 volts, the datalogger shows 11.8 volts.

I haven't noticed that. The Data Monitor & Datalogger are reading from the ECU.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...anyone-explain (Somewhat related forum thread.)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Basically my car has been a hard start from the beginning, so I'm going back looking at everything from battery voltage to grounds, etc. If I check my voltage with a multimeter at the battery and look at my Digital Dash, they match @ 12.3 volts. However, when I run a datalog, it will show 11.8 as the highest volts. I've run a few datalogs and my voltage has gone as low as 10.2, but will stay constantly 10.2-10.6 through the datalog. I know there's going to be voltage drop. I'm not sure if this is too much of a drop, as I have read the ECU does not like to be below 11 volts. My weakest link at this point might be having #2 wire as a ground from the engine to the battery instead of 1 gauge wire. (This could be the issue, but I'm not totally convinced). The datalogs have showed the cam & crank signals are good, and I immediately get sync. RPM gets to 120-130. I've also checked the cam & crank trigger wiring, should I be seeing 12 volts on the signal return wires? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by robertc68 View Post
    I've also checked the cam & crank trigger wiring, should I be seeing 12 volts on the signal return wires?
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...0957#post90957 (Related Forum Post)

Thanks for the info, it’s really helping. Do you think I'm having voltage transfer issues?

I know there's going to be voltage drop. I'm not sure if this is too much of a drop, as I have read the ECU does not like to be below 11 volts.
    I don't think 11 volts is too low.

My weakest link at this point might be having #2 wire as a ground from the engine to the battery instead of 1 gauge wire. (This could be the issue, but I'm not totally convinced).
    Maybe if the battery is in the rear of the vehicle, but I doubt it too.

The datalogs have showed the cam & crank signals are good, and I immediately get sync. RPM gets to 120-130.
    This sounds good. It seems you don't have a cranking voltage drop issue. Check/charge the battery.

Thanks. I was able to check my crank signal return, and cranking the voltage is dropping from 11.8 to 5 volts. Isn't it suppose to drop to 0 volts?

Isn't it suppose to drop to 0 volts?
    Read 3rd column of page 2: http://www.wellsve.com/sft503/Counterpoint3_1.pdf (Understanding/Troubleshooting Hall-Effect Sensors - "Troubleshooting", Page 2)

"If the sensor has power & ground, the next thing to check would be sensor output. The voltage output signal should switch back & forth from maximum to near zero as the engine is cranked. No change would indicate a faulty sensor. Watching the sensor’s voltage output on an oscilloscope is a good way to spot problems that might escape normal diagnosis. You should see a nice, sharp square wave pattern that goes from maximum to near zero (or vice versa) every time the sensor switches on & off."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast